Online Postgraduate Course in Data Management
Online Postgraduate Course in Data Management
Learn to manage, exploit, analyse, and make appropriate data management decisions based on the generation, capture, and processing of data. Train in the growing area of big data, and specialize in the digital environment and in the management of quality data, the most important strategic asset of companies today.
The concept of data management and the new professional opportunities linked to it have arisen as a consequence of the proliferation of information technologies and the massive generation of data on the Internet. The challenge that companies have today is to have a data governance policy for their databases that facilitates the management and analysis of this data for making strategic decisions while managing projects in marketing, sales, finance, planning, logistics, innovation in products, and services, among others.
The methodology of the Postgraduate Course in Data Management trains you to manage and analyse your company's data through two main pillars: data management and knowledge of data at a technical level.
The first pillar prepares you to understand how a data-driven company should work, what data mining consists of, how to manage end to end (e2e) data projects, how to design data management, governance and security policies during data processing (privacy, access, and confidentiality), how to optimally present them (visualization) and how to improve decision-making in project management based on Game Theory. This will enable you to understand data management and to provide intelligence to the data of a company, and improve decisions regarding its operations through business analytics systems (to better understand the profile of clients and organizations, improve traceability, increase conversion, increase loyalty, improve security, innovate in new products and improve logistics processes, among others).
The second pillar focuses on understanding data at a technical level in the context of information systems. For this reason, we propose a common base on data analytics techniques in companies, the identification of data mining and machine learning problems, including statistical contents of probability and prediction of a variable from historical data and multiple databases. You will practise the main tools of business intelligence and Big Data management for handling large volumes of data and, if you so choose, you will be able to delve into the optional credits for data programming with the "R" programming course, the programming language designed for data analytics. No previous knowledge or professional experience will be required to get started in this programming language.
To close out the program, you will develop a real project in data analytics from beginning to end, applying the knowledge and methodologies acquired in the course, which will serve as a cover letter for new projects and professional opportunities or as a contribution of great value to your current organization.
Why choose this program
Gain access to a professional profile in high demand
You will specialize in data management and big data, one of the areas with the highest growth and employability today and with a forecast of accelerated growth in the coming years. The proliferation of companies oriented to the management of new technologies and data (data-driven) has led to an exponential growth in the demand for professionals specialized in data management and business intelligence in any sector.
Undertake an end to end data management project
With the knowledge acquired, you will have the opportunity to learn the process for implementing a data and business analytics project in any sector, from start to finish (e2e). You will also practise decision-making in project management, in the only postgraduate course in data management with a methodology that teaches Game Theory to its students.
We adapt to you
The online-remote and fully digital methodology will allow you to get the best of both worlds, online and on-campus, giving you flexibility to study and acquire knowledge at your own pace and, at the same time, the necessary interaction, through live classes, with the teacher and your colleagues from the university.
Learn from experts in the sector
We will connect you with teachers of the highest academic level and proven track record in Data Analytics and Big Data who will provide you with the teaching rigour and professional experience of the UPF-BSM, as well as the real needs of data-driven and data mining companies in the present.
Obtain a prestigious international qualification
You will obtain a qualification in information systems and big data backed by the recognition and academic quality of UPF, the number one university in Spain thanks to its valued methodologies.
Who is it for?
The data management postgraduate course is aimed at university graduates from the field of engineering or social sciences who want to improve their professional experience, and who are developing or want to develop in the management of data in order to make decisions, both at the business and functional level in all types of organizations.
The course consists of 8 compulsory subjects on data (3 ECTS credits each) and 2 optional subjects (3 ECTS credits each), of which students must select 1.
All students must complete an individual Postgraduate Final Project that highlights the knowledge acquired in data management and big data.
- What is a data-driven company?
- Data-driven companies pillars:
- Data Governance
- What is probability and what is statistics?
- Basic probability and statistics tools
- Distributions applied to companies
- Data in the description of situations
- Exploring the data
- Infer parameters and understand their reliability
- Simplification of large volumes of data and data management
- Extraction of hidden information
- Segmentation of individuals according to data
- Visualization as a communication tool
- Chart types
- Visualization software
- Data Maturity Models
- Data life cycle in information systems
- Return on Investment of initiatives based on data in organizations
- From statistics to probability and decision
- Decision techniques: data-driven and data-informed
Real case of a complete data driven project in companies
Postgraduate Final Project
For the Postgraduate Final Project, you will develop a real project in data analytics, from start to finish, applying the knowledge of data management and information systems acquired in the course, which will serve as a cover letter for new projects or professional opportunities such as a contribution of great value to your current organization.
Once you have passed the program, you will be awarded the degree of Diploma de Postgrado en Data Management, issued by Pompeu Fabra University.
Senior Lecturer BSM
Senior Lecturer BSM
- Xavier Gumara
Engineering Manager at ADEVINTA Computer Science Engineering and Master Computer Science Management at URL. Certified in CSPO and CSM by Scrum Alliance
- Miquel Ribó
Senior R&D Engineer at Wavecontrol Telecommunication Engineering at UPF. Ph.D in Electronics at URL. Master DataScience and Specialization in Business Intelligence at UOC.
At UPF-BSM we are committed to a flexible, digital and dynamic online model, the aim of which is to place the student at the centre of the process so that they are the owner of their learning and knowledge acquisition process.
To facilitate day-to-day management and the achievement of your academic goals, the program on data is structured into subjects with which you will acquire knowledge, and instrumental and aptitude skills, which will open up numerous professional opportunities related to the management of new technology and information systems. These subjects on big data are presented in an organized and sequential way so that you can focus 100% and get the most out of them.
All this, while having 24/7 access to the virtual environment so that you can organize your study without schedules and at your own pace. In this way, you can combine it with your work and personal life, making the most of the time you have for it.
The course combines the methodology of online training, with the following of classes by videoconference so that you can interact in real time with the expert teacher and your classmates. In order to be flexible with our training, we record the sessions so that you can consult them later if you have not been able to connect and in this way not lose the thread of your education.
Didactic and interactive teaching materials
We rely on materials in various formats to make the experience of the students more motivating and challenging: videos, case studies, tests, content maps, and downloadable resources in digital format. These materials are periodically updated so that you have at your disposal the latest knowledge, skills, and tools to take your career linked to information technology to the next level.
Active and collaborative learning
Participation and discussion with your classmates and teachers are essential and enriching for the collaborative learning process around big data, business analytics, and data management. For this reason, we will provide you with different tools and ways to connect, such as videoconference classes, discussion forums, and coffee forums to encourage the exchange of ideas and networking.
To make your experience and education more tangible and immediate, you will have the support of fundamental people such as the teacher, who will guide you in consultations of the subject of the program on data, business analytics, and databases, the program manager, who will support you in the monitoring and general operation of the program, and the career advisor, who will guide you in your search for career opportunities in companies.
The evaluation of the students will combine the assessment of the following of the contents through evaluation tests, group and individual practical work, contributions to the debate forum, and the Postgraduate Final Project, with its defence, as the culmination of the data management program.
The learning process is characterized by its flexibility, since, in the virtual learning environment, the structure of the school calendar and the diversity of multimedia resources which are made available to the student allows them to acquire knowledge in a self-regulated manner.
The support of the teaching staff and interaction with classmates is carried out by making use of a wide variety of communication channels that facilitate proximity and didactic dialogue.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Data Management gives you the necessary education to enter a growing market in high demand in today's companies and become the benchmark for the management and governance of databases in your organization, as well as transforming data into useful information for making business intelligence decisions and managing data mining, big data, and end-to-end data mining projects.
You will share a classroom with professionals from different backgrounds (Business Administration, Information Technology, Data Processing, Business Intelligence, Data Management, Engineering, Sales, Marketing, and Design), from different national and international backgrounds, who are looking for flexible quality training, that allows them to combine their work and personal life with academic experience, and which opens new professional opportunities.
From Professional Careers Service, you can count on our Talent UP professional development and education program, a training complement designed to increase the value and positioning of our students in the professional market. This program provides you with tools and resources, through individual professional advice, training activities, events with companies, and professional opportunities in the big data and data management sector.
- Chief Data Officer (CDO)
- Big Data Consultant
- Data Analalyst Consultant
- Business Inteligence Manager
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
You should have a university degree to be able to apply.
Other candidates without the required university degree will be able to access the admission process by virtue of their professional and academic merits and the place of work they occupy. Upon passing the program, they will receive a certificate of completion issued by the UPF Barcelona School of Management.
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through the following form.
Application for admission
Complete your application within the next admission rounds:
|Round||Application deadline||Admission resolution|
Applications for admission will be evaluated when you complete the following steps:
- Complete the online admission form.
- Pay the €120 admission fee. This amount will be returned if you are not admitted.
- Send the following documents through the online platform e-registrar:
- Presentation letter or video
- Scanned copy of university degree (if you are in the last year of your degree, you can provide your academic records)
- Scanned copy of Transcript of Records. Make sure that it includes your GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Scanned copy of ID Card or Passport
- Passport-size photo (jpg format)
Additional documents may be requested in certain cases.
Application rounds are subject to the number of places available on the program.
- The Admissions Committee will select the candidates on the basis of a personal or CV-based interview.
- You will be notified of the admission decision in writing.
- Registration must be paid within a 15 days after the admission.
- Once the letter of acceptance to the program has been received, you will need to submit the following original documents before the course begins:
- Stamped and/or authenticated photocopy of your university degree.
- If you have a foreign degree you may need to submit additional documents.
- Paying the reservation fee (25% of the program's tuition fees) is essential in order to reserve your place
- If you pay the tuition fees by bank transfer you will be required to introduce the program code. The program code for this course is 2978.
- The remaining tuition fees must be paid 2 weeks before the start of the course.
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Social Value Scholarships
UPF Barcelona School of Management, for this next academic year, and aiming at the commitment for social welfare, offers the Social Value Scholarships with the objective of supporting and favoring the groups that the School considers a priority. Enter and consult the details.
These scholarships are intended to favor specific groups, to help them in their professional and personal development or people who are in a situation of economic difficulty.
The Social Value Scholarship program covers from 25% to 70% of the total tuition fee for the master's degree and from 25% to 50% of the total tuition fee for the diploma or postgraduate course for all the programs offered by the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation.
The University Master's Degree in Law and any other master’s degree carried out in conjunction with an institution outside the UPF-BSM are excluded. Also excluded are programs for which the interested party wishes to carry out any recognition. Repeating students will also not be eligible for the scholarship.
- "Impulsa MUJER" (“Promote Woman”)
Aimed at all professional women, from any environment, who wish to study a management program in any area of the company, to occupy leadership positions or to lead a professional project.
Sporty woman: Specifically addressed at professional sportswomen interested in studying the master’s degree in Sports Management in any of its modalities.
- "Post COVID boost"
Aimed at people over 40 who are unemployed or in ERTE. ERTE is a term used in Spain to refer to the suspension for a specific time of the labor contract of part or all the workers of a company due to force majeure. This temporary suspension of the contract has been applied in Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic and remains in effect until the Government and the Employer decide.
- "Entrepreneur Scholarship for local economy"
Aimed at entrepreneurs and small businesses with a direct impact on the local economy and regions that need specific training to boost business.
- You must have applied for admission into one of the master's offered by the UPF Barcelona School of Management (except the Official Master's Program in Advocacy or those master's) and have been admitted to the program for which the grant is being requested.
- Present a letter of motivation with the reasons why you are applying for the scholarship with a list of merits or outstanding aspects that can be contrasted.
Consult the specific criteria for each of the modalities in the rules.
Submit your application for the Social Value Scholarship via the "Application form" of the program that you are interested in.
Submit the documentation via the "Scholarships and Funding" section of the eRegistar platform, to which you will be given access when applying
Please note that your application must meet all the requirements for both documentation and deadlines. Otherwise, it cannot be evaluated.
All documents except for the academic transcript must be in either Catalan, Spanish or English. The academic transcript can be presented in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian or Portuguese. If it is another language it must be accompanied by a sworn official translation into Catalan or Spanish.
Social Value Scholarship applications have to be made at the same time as completing your application for the program and always before classes begin. Social Value Scholarships cannot be processed for a master's program that has already begun.
Equally, applications presented after the deadlines of the established rounds will not be accepted, even if classes have not yet begun.
Social Value Scholarship are applied for and awarded according to the dates outlined below.:
Programmes for the academic year 2021-2022
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 01/11/2021
The Scholarship Committee will only award Social Value Scholarships to those applicants who, having completed the corresponding documentation and been finally admitted to the program for which they are applying, have passed the various tests that may be requested and meet the criteria established in each established typology in which they wish to enter.
The Scholarship Committee will inform each applicant of the decision individually by e-mail, following the dates published on the website.
Apply for one of our UPF-BSM Scholarships, awarded specifically to Pompeu Fabra University students with a good academic record.
If you are studying your last undergraduate course (4th year) at UPF or at a UPF Group centre and you have a good record, you can apply for a UPF-BSM scholarship. Remember that you must be a graduate and be in possession of your degree (or failing that, the certificate of receipt) when you start the program in which you have enrolled.
- Be in the last undergraduate year at UPF.
- Have a good academic record.
- Have been admitted or are in the process of admission to a Master or Postgraduate course for which you are applying for this Scholarship.
- Apply for the Scholarship at the time of application for admission.
- Submit a motivation letter with the reasons why you have opted for the Scholarship and a list of verifiable merits.
- Upload the required documentation through the eRegistrar platform
- The dates of awarding or denying of the Scholarship will be published on the website.
- The scholarship candidate will personally receive a communication with the procedures to follow in order to formalize it.
The Scholarship Committee assesses academic talent (average grade of the report) and personal talent (the motivation of the candidate and their merits).
The UPF-BSM Scholarships are not compatible with specific aid for the programs, scholarships granted by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, and other UPF-BSM scholarships.
They are compatible with other scholarships from organizations outside the UPF-BSM and with discounts for large families.
They are applied for and granted in accordance with the dates stipulated below:
Academic year programs 2020–21 and 2021–22
- Scholarship application deadline: 03/12/2020, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 14/12/2020
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 01/11/2021
Remember that you must apply for the scholarship when you complete the application for admission to the program that interests you and always before classes start. The Scholarship cannot be processed for a program that is already being studied.
If you have any questions about how to apply for the UPF-BSM Scholarships, you can contact our scholarship secretariat via email.
Grants and discounts
If you are a member of our alumni associations or of one of our partner universities, we offer you a series of applicable discounts on the amount of tuition for your program.
- UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC Alumni: If you have previously studied at UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC a 15 credits (or more) program and you decide to take on a new program with us, you are entitled to a discount of 20% on your program tuition fees. It is required to be registered in the Alumni network of the UPF Barcelona School of Management upon your application. This discount is not applicable to short courses and postgraduate courses which are part of the same itinerary.
- UPF Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree, a master program or a doctoral program at Pompeu Fabra University, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits) beginning on or after 01/01/2019.
- ESCI-UPF and Tecnocampus Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree or a master at ESCI-UPF or Tecnocampus, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
*Discount not compatible with other scholarships, discounts and reductions.
UPF Employee Discounts
If you are a member or family member of an employee of the UPF group or belonged to the collaborating institutions of the UPF Barcelona School of Management, you can enjoy a series of applicable discounts on the tuition fees for your program.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) of Pompeu Fabra University. You are entitled to a 35% discount on tuition fees for open programs subject to prior communication from the rector's office and/or the UPF general manager's office.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) and Teaching and Research Staff (PDI) of the UPF Group. Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- Relatives (up to second degree) of UPF and the UPF's Institute of Continuing Education's Foundation teaching and research staff (PAS and PDI, in Spanish). Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- If you work at a company member of the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation's Board of Trustees or at any of our councils' companies. Discount of 20% on the tuition fees of our master's and postgraduate courses. Click here to see the companies on the Board of Trustees.
*Discount not compatible with other scholarships, discounts and reductions.
UPF Partner Latinoamerican Universities Discount
If you are alumni of one of our Partner Universities, you are entitled to a discount of 10% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduate program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
*Discount not compatible with other scholarships, discounts and reductions.
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management collaborates with various banks and financial entities which provide study loans on favorable terms. For more information you can contact any of the following links (in Spanish).
Note, however, that in order to benefit from these special conditions you must have a NIE if you are not a European Citizen. Therefore, UPF Barcelona School of Management strongly recommends international students to seek first for students loans at bank entities of their country of origin, or to search for funding opportunities through international entities.
Online Postgraduate Course in Data Management