Postgraduate Online Course in Financial Information and Assessment
Postgraduate Online Course in Financial Information and Assessment
Become an accredited financial advisor through this postgraduate course, which has been approved by the National Securities Market Commission (CNMV), to be included in the list of courses that accredit the training necessary to perform financial information and assessment functions, in accordance with the European MiFID II regulations.
With the Postgraduate Online Course in Financial Information and Assessment, you will acquire knowledge of financial products and related markets, as well as the influence of the economicfinancial environment in which they are developed. This will allow you to transmit the appropriate information and provide correct advice to your clients.
Its main objectives are:
- Know the main characteristics of the financial system and the guidelines for action depending on the client, the financial product, and the service that is being provided to the client.
- Understand and learn how to analyse the main characteristics of the money, fixed income and variable income markets.
- Understand the derivatives markets, OTC products and the currency market.
- Know and learn how to analyse the risks of any investment products that are offered or recommended to clients.
- Learn how to determine customer needs and have the ability to analyse their investment objectives. Also know the implications of diversification relative to individual investment alternatives, as well as the difference between past and future performance scenarios, and the limits of forecasts.
Why choose this program
Director of international prestige
The postgraduate director, Xavier Puig, holds management positions in leading entities in the financial sector, as well as being part of the prestigious Department of Economics and Business at UPF. He is also an influential leader in the sector with frequent opinions in the media, where he has dealt with different financial issues.
Gain a professional advisor accreditation
The postgraduate course is included in the list of programs of the CNMV, National Securities Market Commission, which will accredit you as trained personnel for advising on investment products and services, as established in the European MiFID II directive.
Learn from industry professionals
You will train, on the one hand, with UPF professors, whose area of Economics and Business has been rated 1st in Spain, 3rd in Europe and 46th in the world, by the Times Higher Education ranking. And, on the other hand, with renowned professionals who will contribute their knowledge and experience to apply theory to practice.
Who is it for?
The program is aimed at professionals who provide information and/or offer financial advice to clients and professionals who need to be accredited through the CNMV, in accordance with the European MiFID II regulations.
The Postgraduate Online Course in Financial Information and Assessment is made up of 6 subjects that are carried out consecutively and completely remotely.
At the end of the subjects, a final exam is taken on-campus in which the whole program will be evaluated.
- Current structure of the Spanish financial system
- Financial intermediaries
- Financial assets
- Financial markets
- Functions and structure
- Monetary politics
- Type of interest
- Exchange rate
- Balance of payments
- Supply and demand indicators
- Advanced indicators
- Impact of macroeconomic variables on financial markets
- MiFID. Classification of clients. Product types. Service modalities
- Prevention of money laundering and financing of terrorism. Real ownership. Analysis of the operation. Communications to SEPBLAC
- Market abuse. Inside information. Market manipulation
- General introduction. Previous considerations. Basic aspects
- Personal income tax
- Wealth tax
- Inheritance and gift tax
- Five key variables to evaluate fixed income in the short or long term
- Fixing the price of money
- Interbank market: The Euribor
- Money market products
- “Repos” and “FRA’S”
- Risks. Ratings
- Basic characteristics of a long-term bond
- Whole price and running coupon and ex-coupon price
- Long-term fixed income investment risks. Ratings
- Guarantees and priority of collection
- Price and profitability of a bond
- Time Curve of interest rates
- Profitability, risk and taxation
- 4 key variables to evaluate equities
- Characteristics of the stock market
- Types of orders
- Cash operations
- Credit operations
- Capital increase
- IPO, rights offering, and takeover
- Risks in investing in equities
- Analysis: Fundamental and technical
Section 1. Futures
- Introduction to derivatives: Forwards and Futures
- Clearinghouse and standardization of contracts
- Hedging and speculation
- Operations, costs and guarantees in the futures market
Section 2. Options
- Types of options and the four basic positions
- Call options
- Put options
- Basic valuation of options: intrinsic value and time value
- Operations, costs and guarantees in the options market
- Main characteristics of the foreign exchange market
- Expression of exchange rates
- “Spot” and “forward” operations
- Price determination
- Exchange insurance
- How to plan the investment
- Criteria for the selection of banking products
- Classification of banking products
- Deposits: simple interest, increasing interest, structured with capital guarantee, individual long-term savings accounts (CIALP), gift deposits, and e-deposits
- Double deposits
- Investment savings to deferred capital
- Individual long-term savings insurance (SIALP)
- Immediate life annuities
- Systematic Individual Savings Plan (PIAS)
- Unit linked
- Repos. Treasure letters
- Bank promissory notes
- Bonds, and public and corporate obligations
- Sub-ordinated debt
- Mortgage Debentures and Mortgage Bonds
- Shares and business participations admitted for trading on regulated markets or equivalent
- Preferred shares
- Convertible bonds
- Convertible contingent bonds
- Structured notes of unsecured capital
- Collective investment
- Collective investment institutions
- Information for shareholders
- The net asset value
- Subscription and refund procedure
- Knowing the customer. Knowing what to ask the customer to determine their needs
- Having the ability to analyse objectives. For this, the client's assets must be compared with their needs. Creating the balance sheet and the customer's income statement
- Being able to create a client portfolio by choosing the best financial assets based on Ranking and Rating
- Calculate Sharpe, Treynor and Jensen's Alpha ratios.
This course has been approved by the National Securities Market Commission (CNMV) to be included in the list of courses that certify the training necessary to provide information and financial advice functions, in accordance with the European MiFID II regulations.
Once you have passed the program, you will be awarded the degree of Curso de Postgrado en Información y Asesoramiento Financiero, issued by Pompeu Fabra University.
Senior Lecturer BSM
Senior Lecturer BSM
Senior Lecturer BSM
Adjunct professor BSM
Senior Lecturer BSM
Senior Lecturer BSM
At UPF Barcelona School of Management we are committed to a flexible and dynamic online model, whose objective is to place you as a participant at the centre of the process and to be the owner of the development of your learning.
To facilitate the day-to-day management and the achievement of academic goals, you will have 24/7 access to the virtual environment so that you can organize your study without schedules and at your own pace.
As such, you will acquire knowledge, and instrumental and aptitude skills while combining training with your work and personal life, making the most of the time you have for it.
Interactive teaching materials
Various materials and formats will make your experience more motivating: videos, case studies, content maps and downloadable resources. Designed and updated periodically by professionals and experts in the field, they put at your disposal the latest knowledge, skills, and tools to take your career to the next level.
Active and collaborative learning
Participation and discussion with your classmates and teachers are essential to the collaborative learning process. We will provide you with various tools such as the Discussion Forum, where you can propose new topics for debate, comment on and answer questions presented by the teacher or respond to interesting comments.
Streaming sessions with experts
Through videoconference sessions with the expert teacher or special guests, you will be able to ask questions, discuss your learning and connect in real time as if you were all in the same place. To ensure the flexibility of the training, we record the sessions so that you can refer to them if you have not been able to connect.
You will have the support of the expert tutor, who will guide you through each didactic unit; the help of the coordinator and the program manager in the delivery of activities, qualifications, management of procedures or access to services, and the guidance of the career advisor in the improvement of your personal brand and the search for professional opportunities.
The learning process is characterized by its flexibility, since, in the virtual learning environment, the structure of the school calendar and the diversity of multimedia resources which are made available to the student allows them to acquire knowledge in a self-regulated manner.
The support of the teaching staff and interaction with classmates is carried out by making use of a wide variety of communication channels that facilitate proximity and didactic dialogue. The completion of activities and the Master's Final Project or Postgraduate Final Project is oriented towards professional practice for a high-impact professional transfer.
The Postgraduate Online Course in Financial Information and Assessment prepares all professionals in the financial environment to be able to provide information and advise correctly on products and services to those clients who request it, within the framework of the entry into force of the new European MiFID II directive.
You will share a virtual classroom with active professionals from the financial sector who have a common background (Accounting and Finance, Economics, Business Administration, or Law), from different national and international origins, who seek flexible quality training, which allows them to combine their working and personal life with academic experience.
Number of years of professional experience
After complying with the training requirements required by MiFID II, you will be able to develop advisory and information functions on investment matters, in any entity that carries out these activities within the financial sector.
Personnel who provide information or advise clients in financial entities:
- Office directors
- Personal and private banking managers
- Other posts in the bank
Personnel who provide information or advise clients in other entities related to financial markets such as:
- Portfolio Manager of Collective Investment Institutions (SGIIC)
- Securities Agencies
- Securities Companies
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
A university degree is needed to apply.
Those participants who, having passed the course, cannot prove possession of a university degree, will receive a certificate of completion issued by the UPF Barcelona School of Management.
Those participants who do not have Spanish as one of their mother tongues or who did not have it as a teaching language in their training studies, must prove that they have at least a B2 level of Spanish (Common European Framework of Reference), as well as fluently take part in a personal interview with the academic director, if necessary.
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through the following form.
Application for admission
Complete your application within the next admission rounds:
|Round||Application deadline||Admission resolution|
Applications for admission will be evaluated when you complete the following steps:
- Complete the online admission form.
- Pay the €120 admission fee. This amount will be returned if you are not admitted.
- Send the following documents through the online platform e-registrar:
- Presentation letter or video
- Scanned copy of university degree (if you are in the last year of your degree, you can provide your academic records)
- Scanned copy of Transcript of Records. Make sure that it includes your GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Scanned copy of ID Card or Passport
- Passport-size photo (jpg format)
Additional documents may be requested in certain cases.
Application rounds are subject to the number of places available on the program.
- The Admissions Committee will select the candidates on the basis of a personal or CV-based interview.
- You will be notified of the admission decision in writing.
- Registration must be paid within a 15 days after the admission.
- Once the letter of acceptance to the program has been received, you will need to submit the following original documents before the course begins:
- Stamped and/or authenticated photocopy of your university degree.
- If you have a foreign degree you may need to submit additional documents.
- Paying the reservation fee (25% of the program's tuition fees) is essential in order to reserve your place
- If you pay the tuition fees by bank transfer you will be required to introduce the program code. The program code for this course is 3326.
- The remaining tuition fees must be paid 2 weeks before the start of the course.
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Apply for one of our UPF-BSM Scholarships, awarded specifically to Pompeu Fabra University students with a good academic record.
If you are studying your last undergraduate course (4th year) at UPF or at a UPF Group centre and you have a good record, you can apply for a UPF-BSM scholarship. Remember that you must be a graduate and be in possession of your degree (or failing that, the certificate of receipt) when you start the program in which you have enrolled.
- Be in the last undergraduate year at UPF.
- Have a good academic record.
- Have been admitted or are in the process of admission to a Master or Postgraduate course for which you are applying for this Scholarship.
- Apply for the Scholarship at the time of application for admission.
- Submit a motivation letter with the reasons why you have opted for the Scholarship and a list of verifiable merits.
- Upload the required documentation through the eRegistrar platform
- The dates of awarding or denying of the Scholarship will be published on the website.
- The scholarship candidate will personally receive a communication with the procedures to follow in order to formalize it.
- The Scholarship Committee assesses academic talent (average grade of the report) and personal talent (the motivation of the candidate and their merits).
- The UPF-BSM Scholarships are not compatible with specific aid for the programs, scholarships granted by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, and other UPF-BSM scholarships.
- They are compatible with other scholarships from organizations outside the UPF-BSM and with discounts for large families.
They are applied for and granted in accordance with the dates stipulated below:
Academic year programs 2020–21 and 2021–22
- Scholarship application deadline: 03/12/2020, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 14/12/2020
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 01/11/2021
Remember that you must apply for the scholarship when you complete the application for admission to the program that interests you and always before classes start. The Scholarship cannot be processed for a program that is already being studied.
If you have any questions about how to apply for the UPF-BSM Scholarships, you can contact our scholarship secretariat via email.
Social Value Scholarships
UPF Barcelona School of Management, for this next academic year, and aiming at the commitment for social welfare, offers the Social Value Scholarships with the objective of supporting and favoring the groups that the School considers a priority. Enter and consult the details.
These scholarships are intended to favor specific groups, to help them in their professional and personal development or people who are in a situation of economic difficulty.
The Social Value Scholarship program covers from 25% to 70% of the total tuition fee for the master's degree and from 25% to 50% of the total tuition fee for the diploma or postgraduate course for all the programs offered by the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation.
The University Master's Degree in Law and any other master’s degree carried out in conjunction with an institution outside the UPF-BSM are excluded. Also excluded are programs for which the interested party wishes to carry out any recognition. Repeating students will also not be eligible for the scholarship.
- "Impulsa MUJER" (“Promote Woman”)
Aimed at all professional women, from any environment, who wish to study a management program in any area of the company, to occupy leadership positions or to lead a professional project.
Sporty woman: Specifically addressed at professional sportswomen interested in studying the master’s degree in Sports Management in any of its modalities.
- "Post COVID boost"
Aimed at people over 40 who are unemployed or in ERTE. ERTE is a term used in Spain to refer to the suspension for a specific time of the labor contract of part or all the workers of a company due to force majeure. This temporary suspension of the contract has been applied in Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic and remains in effect until the Government and the Employer decide.
- "Entrepreneur Scholarship for local economy"
Aimed at entrepreneurs and small businesses with a direct impact on the local economy and regions that need specific training to boost business.
- You must have applied for admission into one of the master's offered by the UPF Barcelona School of Management (except the Official Master's Program in Advocacy or those master's) and have been admitted to the program for which the grant is being requested.
- Present a letter of motivation with the reasons why you are applying for the scholarship with a list of merits or outstanding aspects that can be contrasted.
Consult the specific criteria for each of the modalities in the rules.
Submit your application for the Social Value Scholarship via the "Application form" of the program that you are interested in.
Submit the documentation via the "Scholarships and Funding" section of the eRegistar platform, to which you will be given access when applying
Please note that your application must meet all the requirements for both documentation and deadlines. Otherwise, it cannot be evaluated.
All documents except for the academic transcript must be in either Catalan, Spanish or English. The academic transcript can be presented in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian or Portuguese. If it is another language it must be accompanied by a sworn official translation into Catalan or Spanish.
Social Value Scholarship applications have to be made at the same time as completing your application for the program and always before classes begin. Social Value Scholarships cannot be processed for a master's program that has already begun.
Equally, applications presented after the deadlines of the established rounds will not be accepted, even if classes have not yet begun.
Social Value Scholarship are applied for and awarded according to the dates outlined below.:
Programmes for the academic year 2021-2022
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 01/11/2021
The Scholarship Committee will only award Social Value Scholarships to those applicants who, having completed the corresponding documentation and been finally admitted to the program for which they are applying, have passed the various tests that may be requested and meet the criteria established in each established typology in which they wish to enter.
The Scholarship Committee will inform each applicant of the decision individually by e-mail, following the dates published on the website.
Grants and discounts
If you are a member of our alumni associations or of one of our partner universities, we offer you a series of applicable discounts on the amount of tuition for your program.
- UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC Alumni: If you have previously studied at UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC a 15 credits (or more) program and you decide to take on a new program with us, you are entitled to a discount of 20% on your program tuition fees. It is required to be registered in the Alumni network of the UPF Barcelona School of Management upon your application. This discount is not applicable to short courses and postgraduate courses which are part of the same itinerary.
- UPF Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree, a master program or a doctoral program at Pompeu Fabra University, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits) beginning on or after 01/01/2019.
- ESCI-UPF and Tecnocampus Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree or a master at ESCI-UPF or Tecnocampus, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
UPF Employee Discounts
If you are a member or family member of an employee of the UPF group or belonged to the collaborating institutions of the UPF Barcelona School of Management, you can enjoy a series of applicable discounts on the tuition fees for your program.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) of Pompeu Fabra University. You are entitled to a 35% discount on tuition fees for open programs subject to prior communication from the rector's office and/or the UPF general manager's office.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) and Teaching and Research Staff (PDI) of the UPF Group. Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- Relatives (up to second degree) of UPF and the UPF's Institute of Continuing Education's Foundation teaching and research staff (PAS and PDI, in Spanish). Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- If you work at a company member of the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation's Board of Trustees or at any of our councils' companies. Discount of 20% on the tuition fees of our master's and postgraduate courses.
UPF Partner Latinoamerican Universities Discount
If you are alumni of one of our Partner Universities, you are entitled to a discount of 10% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduate program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management collaborates with various banks and financial entities which provide study loans on favorable terms. For more information you can contact any of the following links (in Spanish).
Note, however, that in order to benefit from these special conditions you must have a NIE if you are not a European Citizen. Therefore, UPF Barcelona School of Management strongly recommends international students to seek first for students loans at bank entities of their country of origin, or to search for funding opportunities through international entities.
Postgraduate Online Course in Financial Information and Assessment