Master in Creative Documentary
The Master in Creative Documentary provides a sound both theoretical and practical preparation on directing and producing documentaries. It is internationally renowned for its high quality, innovative techniques, creative freedom and, above all, for its ability to prepare professionals who are new to the industry. Since the course started in 1998, the program has excelled in proving how students' project ideas can be made into films.
The Master's degree program prepares and trains young documentary specialists and broadens the prospects of professionals. It is based on a multi-faceted vision of the contemporary documentary, guaranteed by the personality and the creative and professional experience of lecturers and tutors, and contrasted with experts from different countries. On ending the course, each participant will have collaborated on the process to develop or produce a full-length documentary and will have worked on their own project, positively assessed by producers and broadcasters from the European audiovisual panorama.
This program has been attended by the directors Neus Ballús, Tatiana Huezo, Isaki Lacuesta o Mercedes Álvarez. In its 10 editions, 30 documentary films have been produced, participating in the main national and international festivals (Berlinale, Locarno Festival, International Film Festival Rotterdam, Visions du Réel o Seville European Film Festival…).
The Master in Creative Documentary is aimed at audiovisual media professionals and at graduates in the fields of audiovisual communication and communication sciences interested in being trained as project promoters, directors or producers.
In addition, this program is recognized by Eduniversal Best Masters 2019 as one of the bests master's degree in the area of Communication, reaching the 39th position in Europe.
You can choose how to finance your studies between 3 and 59 months by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours. You can also check the special bank loans available to participants in the UPF Barcelona School of Management.
Why this program?
- Because it is creating a new school of cinema and helping to develop a movement currently represented by como Mercedes Álvarez, Neus Ballús, Renate Costa, Diego Dussuel, Tatiana Guezo, Núria Esquerra, Isaki Lacuesta, Victor Moreno, Lois Patiño, Lupe Pérez, Pilar Monsell and Amanda Villavieja.
- Because in its 8 years, with more than 25 films produced, it has become an international reference in film production and training documentary makers.
- Because it is directed by Jordi Balló, national prize in 2005 in cinema, UPF lecturer since 1993, visiting professor at Stanford University (California) and a key figure in the international contemporary documentary scene.
- Because you will have the opportunity to work with famous documentary makers. In previous editions workshops have been held with filmmakers of the calibre of José Luis Guerin, Claire Simone, Victor Kossakovsky, Audrius Stonys, Sergei Dvortsevoy, Nicolas Philibert, Avi Mograbi, Claude Lanzman, Marcel Lozinski and Frederick Wiseman.
- Because you will work on real products and record your own documentary.
- Examine the latest production models, always with a practical focus.
- Direct your own documentary project in collaboration with producers and broadcasters from the European audiovisual panorama.
- Participate in the development and production of a full-length documentary.