Master in Literary and Audiovisual Translation
Program curriculum and final degree
Find the workshops' description here.
Introduction. Compulsory seminars
- Research techniques for translation
- Stylistic and rhetorical resources applied to translation
- History of translation
- Theory of Audiovisual Translation
- Audiovisual Translation: Dubbing and Subtitling
- Introduction to the Industry and Localization of Videogames
- Translation of Musical Texts
- Subtitling Fantasy and Children’s Films
Seminars on legal and professional aspects
- Intellectual Property law and other legal aspects
- The editorial process and professional aspects of translation
Compulsory translation workshops
Compulsory literary translation workshops
- Workshop 1: English-Castilian trans. Translating for industry
- Workshop 2: English-Castilian trans. Contemporary essays and stories
- Workshop 3: Composition and style editing in Castilian
- Workshop 4: Reading and writing in Castilian
Compulsory Audiovisual translation workshops
- Workshop 1: Introduction to Translation for Dubbing
- Workshop 2: Introduction to Interlinguistic Subtitling
- Workshop 3: Translation Techniques and Strategies for Dubbing
- Workshop 4: Subtitling Styles, Techniques and Software
Optional translation workshops
Optional literary translation workshops (Choose 3)
- Workshop 1: French-Castilian reading and translation
- Workshop 2: Translation of other languages (2 exclusive options, taught on the same days):
- W2a: Italian-Castilian translation
- W2b: German-Castilian translation
- Workshop 3: English-Catalan translation and Catalan-Castilian-Catalan translation
- Workshop 4: Reading in English
- Workshop 5: Global translation, Castilian-English
- Workshop 6: Translation of different literary genres (2 exclusive options, taught on the same days):
- W6a: Translation of poetry and theatre
- W6b: Translation of graphic novels and comics
Optional audiovisual translation workshops (choose 3)
- Workshop 1: The Dubbing Studio and Voices of Translation
- Workshop 2: Innovation (2 mutually exclusive options offered on the same days):
- W2a: Innovations in Translation for Dubbing
- W2b: Innovations in Subtitling
- Workshop 3: Subtitling according to the Communication Medium
- Workshop 4: Audiovisual Translation Media: Translation Synchronization
- Workshop 5: Introduction to Audiovisual Accessibility. Accessibility: Subtitling / Audio Description
- Workshop 6: Translation of different audiovisual genres (2 mutually exclusive options offered on the same days):
- W6a: Translating Humour in Audiovisual Comedy
- W6b: Videogame Translation
Workshops will take place if minimum enrolment is met. Workshop selection will be done in order of registration since in some cases there is a maximum number of participants.
Master end-of-course project
From the start and through the end of the programme, participants will develop an individual project under the guidance of a mentoring lecturer.
UPF Barcelona School of Management Inside Module
This module deals with the key skills that future professionals need in order to achieve success in any area and to quickly and efficiently respond to the constant challenges that emerge in business. The subjects coincide with UPF Barcelona School of Management's key identifying features: analytical capacity, communication and social purpose.
- Evidence-based management: This subject brings us closer to professional decision making through prudent, clear and precise data analysis. Real-life, relevant examples give students an opportunity to discover the manifold opportunities that big data can provide to different professional sectors.
- Storytelling: In this subject, we develop the functions and mechanisms of audiovisual narrative (storytelling) and we apply them to professional communication. We tackle issues such as how to create communications that make an impact (on a personal, project and corporate level) as well as interpersonal communication and team motivation. The goal is to help professionals transmit any idea successfully, with creativity and energy.
- Ethics and sustainability: Professionals in all sectors have to deal with issues relating to ethics and sustainability throughout their working lives. In this subject, we focus on identifying, analysing and effectively responding to these questions.
- Project Management: The objective of this subject is that the participants transfer the concepts and processes that are specific to project management into both their own professional context and the development of their own project within the program they are taking at the UPF-UPF Barcelona School of Management.
- CCLab: The CCLab aims to help you improve your communication skills so that you are able to present your ideas and projects effectively.
*The information contained herein may be subject to changes.
Upon successfully completing the program, students will receive a Master's Degree in Literary and Audiovisual Translation, awarded by Pompeu Fabra University.