Master in Literary and Audiovisual Translation
The Master in Literary and Audiovisual Translation will train you as a professional in two of the most rewarding specialities in the world of translation: literary translation (translation of fiction, poetry, prose and drama) and audiovisual translation (movies, series or video games).
Throughout the course you will learn directly from professionals who have translated works as diverse as George Orwell's 1984 or the Final Fantasy video game series. Being a mostly practical course, you will perfect your language skills translating texts of all genres, both individually and in groups. Audiovisual translation will teach you to use the latest FAB Subtitler and Aegisub subtitling software; you will attend professional dubbing sessions and find yourself immersed in the world of video game translation. Upon completion of the course, you will also have received training on intellectual property law and legal aspects of working as a freelance translator. The course offers an excellent opportunity to make contacts and gain real experience as a translator.
The Master in Literary and Audiovisual Translation is aimed at graduates of philology and translation as well as people from other areas who wish to enter the profession. It is also aimed at translators and language professionals who want to specialize and upgrade their skills.
You can choose how to finance your studies between 3 and 59 months by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours. You can also check the special bank loans available to participants in the UPF Barcelona School of Management.
Why this program?
- Because it focuses on the practical side of translation: you will attend seminars and workshops in translation and in reading, correction, writing and research tools in English, French, Italian or German, depending on your language combination.
- Because of the modern, professional learning environment. For subtitling class you will work with new television shows and films (Game of Thrones, Peppa Pig, Bowling for Columbine, Blue Jasmine, etc.); for dubbing you will meet actors and synchronisers and discover how a dubbing studio works.
- Because you will learn to be a more efficient translator and be trained in legal and professional aspects of working as a freelance translator: invoicing, taxation, what legal framework to follow with regard to International Property Rights, how to use the 2.0 tools of the sector to promote yourself, etc.
- Because as well as learning about traditional translation media you will also learn about the most recent technologies in AV translation: Subtitle Workshop, FAB Subtitler, Aegisub, SubtitleEdit, different videogame subtitling environments, etc.
- Because you will have classes with experienced professional translators like Xosé Castro, Silvia Komet, Valerie Miles; as well as editors, cinema and theatre critics, and university professors such as Olivia de Miguel (Premio Nacional a la Mejor Traducción 2011/2011 Best Spanish Translation) and Patrick Zabalbeascoa.
- Master the translation of all types of different texts.
- Be able to fully handle the different elements of translating audiovisual media and literary texts of all genres (essays, novels, poetry, theatre, etc.) and of different qualities (best sellers, popular texts, canonical works, etc.).
- Gain legal knowledge regarding Spanish Intellectual Property Law (publishing contracts, moral and proprietary rights, royalties, copyright assignment, etc.).
- Become aware of the semiotic element inherent to all translation.
Who is it for?
- Translation and language graduates who wish to complement their university studies with a professional specialisation in literary and audiovisual translation.
- Graduates of other subjects who wish to broaden or change their employment profile in order to enter into a dynamic, independent profession that is flourishing.
- Active translators and other related professionals (editors, proofreaders, scriptwriters, etc.) seeking ongoing training or wishing to update their knowledge.