Online Postgraduate Course in Public Health
The Online Postgraduate Course in Public Health provides a comprehensive view of current public health: its structure and agents, related institutions and the functions that their professionals should perform to ensure an ethical and efficient service.
Throughout the course, you will learn to identify new health risks and approach them from a holistic viewpoint. You will learn the resources to make policies for the control and prevention of disease more effective, to identify and prevent health inequalities and you will understand how to respond to outbreaks and emergencies. You will also acquire basic skills to develop epidemiological investigations and discover how to promote the concept of equitable health at a community level.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Public Health is aimed at graduates of life science (medicine, nursing, biology, veterinary medicine, etc.), environmental science, statistics, economics, political science and sociology, chemistry and pharmacy; as well as professionals wishing to train in any area of public health. This course offers you the option of accreditation by the National School of Health.
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours. You can also check the special bank loans available to participants in the UPF Barcelona School of Management.
Why this program?
- Because it is the basic, minimal training that is sufficient to know the foundations of public health from a rigorous perspective, covering the main areas of interest regarding public health.
- Because its design focuses not only on knowledge but also on know-how (skills) and knowing how to be (attitudes), involving performing activities and having opinion and discussion forums that allow an exchange of opinions and visions that greatly enrich the contributions provided by the initial training materials.
- Because it enables professional practice in public health in public authorities and leads to the Diploma in Public Health from the National School of the Carlos III Health Institute and it is very highly rated when applying for positions or transfers.
- Because it has lecturers who are excellent professionals with extensive experience in local and regional public health services.
- Because distance learning and its sequential design make it an ideal way to combine employment with training without causing stress since the student generally engages in one activity at a time.
- Because it not only provides basic training but also includes the newest aspects of the profession, making it an ideal refresher course to bring professionals who need it up to date.
- Because it is an initial experience leading to the more complete training provided by the Master's Degree in Public Health.
- Because it makes it possible to develop a research protocol that invites students to know the basic aspects of research in public health and its main challenges.
- Because it has a team of professionals who will guide you through the training with both group facilitation and individual advice during the program contents and the dissertation.
- Because the experience gained and the opinions of students from previous years, as well as our internal evaluations, have improved the postgraduate year after year.
The main objective of the Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health is to provide the necessary knowledge and skills so that public health professionals, the public authorities and other public services can effectively play their role in promoting and protecting health and in monitoring and preventing diseases among the population, taking account of the local sociopolitical and economic situation.
In order to do this, the training program focuses on identifying the key basic concepts, functions and tools to understand what public health and community health are. And also how it is structured and which skills professionals who want to work in this field should develop. Practical elements are also introduced for planning, development and assessment of community interventions and the training culminates in the production of a research protocol.
The specific objectives are:
- To acquire basic theoretical knowledge about the nature of public and community health and its ability to transform societies by providing progress and well-being, but also posing new challenges and ethical questions.
- To analyse, in detail, any of the major current problems in public health.
- To reflect on the relationships between the various sectors involved in the development of public health.
- To know the main professional fields in which public health is developed, how it has evolved in recent decades and the future development prospects.
- To obtain a comparative vision of the public health panorama in different contexts, emphasising examples of good and bad practices that have been decisive in the profession's development.
- To acquire the necessary practical skills for professional practice in public health.
- To acquire fundamental knowledge to produce professional and research projects in the field of public health, integrating both theoretical and practical knowledge.
- To produce and argue for a research protocol in order to obtain accreditation from the National Health School.
Who is it for?
The course is aimed at healthcare professionals and graduates – especially those with a background in the life sciences (medicine, nursing, biology, veterinary medicine, etc.), environmental sciences, statistics, economics, sociology, chemistry and pharmacy – who wish to be trained to work in any of the areas of public health.