Postgraduate Course in Hospital Management: the Chief of Service as a Product Manager
Postgraduate Course in Hospital Management: the Chief of Service as a Product Manager
Learn to manage all activities related to a hospital product or service to ensure profitable, quality provision of services for the patient.
On the Postgraduate in Hospital Management: the Chief of Service as a Product Manager you will learn to extrapolate the role of the business product manager to the figure of the chief of hospital service.
The health model is a sub-model of the society model. Therefore, when society changes its values, the health model must adapt to them. When the health model acquires a new conformation, its devices (PHC, Hospitals, Social Health, etc.) must adapt to its new role.
Hospitals must therefore reinvent themselves and, with them, clinical and central services. Those who are in charge of these services, the service managers, will have to understand their function in a different way and acquire new conceptual references, and new tools, to carry out their function in an excellent way. The management of the COVID-19 crisis has provided lessons that must also be incorporated into the conceptual and instrumental framework of the chief of service.
From a business approach, you will learn to manage all the activities related to a hospital product or service to ensure a profitable and quality provision of services for the patient. You will acquire a deep knowledge of the market and the product, and you will be able to develop a service plan by identifying the consumer or customer.
Why choose this program
The Chief of Service as Product Manager
The main objective of the postgraduate course is to extrapolate the function of the product manager to that of the chief of the hospital service and thus facilitate the cultural movement, and the organizational techniques and management instruments, necessary to make this new conception operational, as well as to provide the keys to manage the best possible current scenario.
The postgraduate program provides students with knowledge of the market, mastery of the product and ensures that, by identifying the consumer or customer, you are able to develop a marketing plan (service plan) and take responsibility for both the provision of effective and useful quality services for the patient and for the operating account of the service.
Public and private sphere
In the postgraduate studies, there are no distinctions between public and private spheres, but only the adaptation to one setting or another of a core of common doctrine that constitutes the raison d'être of the course.
Who is it for?
The Postgraduate is aimed at current and professional service chiefs that aspire to develop these functions in the future, public sector executives who want to adopt a new management model in their centres, professionals with private practices who wish to improve their results in this area, and managers of private clinics who want to optimize their operating accounts.
The study plan of the Postgraduate in Hospital Management: the Chief of Service as a Product Manager is structured over 12 subjects that provide participants with the necessary knowledge to act as chiefs of service with the gaze of the product manager.
- The break points of 1973, 1989, 2008, and 2020.
- Relevant changes in the social environment. A new concept for health.
- From the welfare state to the welfare society: its translation in the health sector.
- The 21 challenges of the Health model for the beginning of the 21st century.
- A new hospital for a new society.
- Its mission, vision, and values.
- Its organization and management model.
- Problems related to its design.
- Problems related to its operation.
- Problems related to its control.
- Turning hospitals into companies.
- The difference between business and company. The hospital as a business of businesses. From strategic planning to strategic adaptation in the context of a strategic direction.
- The client-centred hospital, the PFC (patient focused care) model in a networked hospital.
- Changes in the healthcare model and their impact on conventional services; from diagnostic and therapeutic medicine to prognostic and precision medicine.
- The Quality Policy; doing it well is not enough. Do our clients realize what we do well? From art medicine to science medicine.
- The management of people; the democratization of the hospital, from employees to partners.
- Clinical management and "clinic management", from uncertainty to risk, and new deontological values.
- The inversion of the organization chart and from hierarchy to holocracy.
- Intelligent purchasing mechanisms, from "selling" what I do to "manufacturing what I sell." The value chain of purchasing services.
- The e-hospital. Digital transformation. Hospital 4.0 and the circular hospital.
- The Product Manager in the service company and the homologation of their function with that of Chief of Service.
- Marketing as a strategy and its instrumental panoply.
- The strategic and tactical variables of marketing.
- The basic functions of the Product Manager:
- Know the market.
- Master the product.
- Take responsibility for the service to the consumer/client.
- Prepare the Marketing Plan (DPO management contract).
- Take responsibility for the operating account.
- The conditions of the hospital model for the implementation of the functions.
- What is our business? The Canvas model.
- Need and demand: epidemiological pattern.
- Health plan and health planning. How does it affect us?
- Changes in the market due to technological evolution.
- Impact on the market of sociocultural values. Social marketing and Demarketing.
- Conditioners PEST and the 5 Porter forces.
- Public market and other markets: the "niche" strategy.
- Competition, competitiveness, and collaboration.
- How do purchasing systems affect us?
- Sizing of the market and its translation to the needs of infrastructures and people.
- The range of products offered and the mix of clients. The life cycle of products. The portfolio of services.
- Alternative, substitute, and complementary products. Make or buy.
- From protocolization as standardization of products to clinical practice guidelines and clinical trajectories. From standardization to customization. The Management Risk.
- The intrinsic quality, the apparent quality, and the concept of "plus produced". Total quality and excellence in quality; the EFQM model. Risk management. Legal responsibilities of the health activity.
- The service process map and process management. From the Lean method to Design Thinking.
- The definition of the product and the patient classification systems, DRG,CMP, etc.
- Teaching management.
- R&D. Development of professional intellect. The management of innovation.
- Strategic alliances to increase "n" and its management; multi-services.
- The management of production/servuction and its organization and management model; a new organization chart for the Service.
- Difference between consumer and customer.
- The customer chain. The management of the continuum (PHC-Specialist Care-SHC).
- The consumer chain. Accessibility and waiting lists. The management of the Surgery Department
- Customer marketing. The tangibility of the product/service and the collaboration of the client/consumer to increase productivity.
- Relationship marketing: inform, train, and adhere. Listening to the patient.
- Internal marketing: aligning partners on value promises.
- From "work with" to "work for". From "think of" to "think like" the customer.
- The marketing mix as a mix of market strategies, products, and services. Your translation in the management contract.
- Where we are, where we want to go, and how we will get there (analysis of the situation, definition of objectives, and development of actions).
- From the market, product, and customer to assistance, teaching and research, from "business" to "company".
- From spending centre to profit centre.
- From the total cost to direct costing. Structure, process, and customer costs.
- The expense budget.
- The income budget.
- The operating account.
- The difference between satisfaction, motivation, and involvement and commitment.
- Knowledge and talent management.
- Permanent change as a vital attitude of organizations.
- Sources and causes of resistance to change; how to implement changes. Keys to success.
- Human capital and Social Balance; corporate social responsibility.
- Specialists or experts? Hybrid professionals and teamwork are reinforced.
- Transcendent motivations ahead of intrinsic and extrinsic ones.
- Idle capacity, flexibility, productivity improvement.
- The management "of the" leading clinic; quality and warmth.
- The cuts of these past 10 years have taken their toll.
- The Chief of Service as Product Manager. From the conventional Chief of Service to the "businessman".
- The Product Manager in the public hospital.
- The Product Manager in the private clinic.
- The Doctor as Product Manager in his career.
- Recommendations for surviving today's crisis.
Once you have passed the program, you will be awarded the degree of Curso de Postgrado en Gestión Hospitalaria: El Jefe de Servicios como Product Manager, issued by the Pompeu Fabra University.
The postgraduate course is developed through master classes and with different methodologies that allow students to express their reflections on Hospital Management.
The methodology of the course is based on real examples, showing them to the participants to discuss the possible solutions in each of the situations.
Content tailored to the participants
Students should write journals after each session, reflecting on which topics they found most useful for their work, which aspects were of most interest to them, and what they missed. This forces them to think about the contents of the session and makes it easier for the teacher to adjust the contents to the real interests of the participants.
Evaluation through the reflective diary that the participants must write after each session.
Project-oriented learning and the combination of lectures and active methodologies such as case studies, flipped learning, solving real problems and professional simulations allow the student to connect theory and practice, acquire advanced skills and achieve learning which is transferable to work.
You will have:
- Master's or postgraduate work to learn by doing
- A personal mentor to monitor your Master's Final Project (TFM) or Postgraduate Final Project (TFP)
- Digital resources to achieve transversal skills
- Interdisciplinary activities and workshops
The Postgraduate Course in Hospital Management: the Chief of Service as a Product Manager teaches you to think and act like a product manager. You will learn to master the organizational techniques and management instruments necessary to operationalize this new business concept for hospital management. You will also learn the hospital marketing necessary to understand the market, control the product, and develop a marketing plan (service plan) by identifying the consumer or customer.
On the Postgraduate Course in Hospital Management you will share a classroom with students from different parts of Catalonia, which will facilitate communication and interaction. Participants come from various academic and business areas. This contributes to creating a multidisciplinary and collaborative spirit, enriching for all.
Average number of years of professional experience
Previous studies in Medicine
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
You will need a university degree to be able to apply.
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through the following form.
Application for admission
Complete your application within the next admission rounds:
|Round||Application deadline||Admission resolution|
Applications for admission will be evaluated when you complete the following steps:
- Complete the online admission form.
- Pay the €120 admission fee. This amount will be returned if you are not admitted.
- Send the following documents through the online platform e-registrar:
- Presentation letter or video
- Scanned copy of university degree (if you are in the last year of your degree, you can provide your academic records)
- Scanned copy of Transcript of Records. Make sure that it includes your GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Scanned copy of ID Card or Passport
- Passport-size photo (jpg format)
Additional documents may be requested in certain cases.
Application rounds are subject to the number of places available on the program.
- The Admissions Committee will select the candidates on the basis of a personal or CV-based interview.
- You will be notified of the admission decision in writing.
- Registration must be paid within a 15 days after the admission.
- Once the letter of acceptance to the program has been received, you will need to submit the following original documents before the course begins:
- Stamped and/or authenticated photocopy of your university degree.
- If you have a foreign degree you may need to submit additional documents.
- Paying the reservation fee (25% of the program's tuition fees) is essential in order to reserve your place
- If you pay the tuition fees by bank transfer you will be required to introduce the program code. The program code for this course is 3102.
- The remaining tuition fees must be paid 2 weeks before the start of the course.
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Apply for one of our UPF-BSM Scholarships, awarded specifically to Pompeu Fabra University students with a good academic record.
If you are studying your last undergraduate course (4th year) at UPF or at a UPF Group centre and you have a good record, you can apply for a UPF-BSM scholarship. Remember that you must be a graduate and be in possession of your degree (or failing that, the certificate of receipt) when you start the program in which you have enrolled.
- Be in the last undergraduate year at UPF.
- Have a good academic record.
- Have been admitted or are in the process of admission to a Master or Postgraduate course for which you are applying for this Scholarship.
- Apply for the Scholarship at the time of application for admission.
- Submit a motivation letter with the reasons why you have opted for the Scholarship and a list of verifiable merits.
- Upload the required documentation through the eRegistrar platform
- The dates of awarding or denying of the Scholarship will be published on the website.
- The scholarship candidate will personally receive a communication with the procedures to follow in order to formalize it.
- The Scholarship Committee assesses academic talent (average grade of the report) and personal talent (the motivation of the candidate and their merits).
- The UPF-BSM Scholarships are not compatible with specific aid for the programs, scholarships granted by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, and other UPF-BSM scholarships.
- They are compatible with other scholarships from organizations outside the UPF-BSM and with discounts for large families.
They are applied for and granted in accordance with the dates stipulated below:
Academic year programs 2020–21 and 2021–22
- Scholarship application deadline: 03/12/2020, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 14/12/2020
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 01/11/2021
Remember that you must apply for the scholarship when you complete the application for admission to the program that interests you and always before classes start. The Scholarship cannot be processed for a program that is already being studied.
If you have any questions about how to apply for the UPF-BSM Scholarships, you can contact our scholarship secretariat via email.
Social Value Scholarships
UPF Barcelona School of Management, for this next academic year, and aiming at the commitment for social welfare, offers the Social Value Scholarships with the objective of supporting and favoring the groups that the School considers a priority. Enter and consult the details.
These scholarships are intended to favor specific groups, to help them in their professional and personal development or people who are in a situation of economic difficulty.
The Social Value Scholarship program covers from 25% to 70% of the total tuition fee for the master's degree and from 25% to 50% of the total tuition fee for the diploma or postgraduate course for all the programs offered by the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation.
The University Master's Degree in Law and any other master’s degree carried out in conjunction with an institution outside the UPF-BSM are excluded. Also excluded are programs for which the interested party wishes to carry out any recognition. Repeating students will also not be eligible for the scholarship.
- "Impulsa MUJER" (“Promote Woman”)
Aimed at all professional women, from any environment, who wish to study a management program in any area of the company, to occupy leadership positions or to lead a professional project.
Sporty woman: Specifically addressed at professional sportswomen interested in studying the master’s degree in Sports Management in any of its modalities.
- "Post COVID boost"
Aimed at people over 40 who are unemployed or in ERTE. ERTE is a term used in Spain to refer to the suspension for a specific time of the labor contract of part or all the workers of a company due to force majeure. This temporary suspension of the contract has been applied in Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic and remains in effect until the Government and the Employer decide.
- "Entrepreneur Scholarship for local economy"
Aimed at entrepreneurs and small businesses with a direct impact on the local economy and regions that need specific training to boost business.
- You must have applied for admission into one of the master's offered by the UPF Barcelona School of Management (except the Official Master's Program in Advocacy or those master's) and have been admitted to the program for which the grant is being requested.
- Present a letter of motivation with the reasons why you are applying for the scholarship with a list of merits or outstanding aspects that can be contrasted.
Consult the specific criteria for each of the modalities in the rules.
Submit your application for the Social Value Scholarship via the "Application form" of the program that you are interested in.
Submit the documentation via the "Scholarships and Funding" section of the eRegistar platform, to which you will be given access when applying
Please note that your application must meet all the requirements for both documentation and deadlines. Otherwise, it cannot be evaluated.
All documents except for the academic transcript must be in either Catalan, Spanish or English. The academic transcript can be presented in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian or Portuguese. If it is another language it must be accompanied by a sworn official translation into Catalan or Spanish.
Social Value Scholarship applications have to be made at the same time as completing your application for the program and always before classes begin. Social Value Scholarships cannot be processed for a master's program that has already begun.
Equally, applications presented after the deadlines of the established rounds will not be accepted, even if classes have not yet begun.
Social Value Scholarship are applied for and awarded according to the dates outlined below.:
Programmes for the academic year 2021-2022
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 01/11/2021
The Scholarship Committee will only award Social Value Scholarships to those applicants who, having completed the corresponding documentation and been finally admitted to the program for which they are applying, have passed the various tests that may be requested and meet the criteria established in each established typology in which they wish to enter.
The Scholarship Committee will inform each applicant of the decision individually by e-mail, following the dates published on the website.
Grants and discounts
If you are a member of our alumni associations or of one of our partner universities, we offer you a series of applicable discounts on the amount of tuition for your program.
- UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC Alumni: If you have previously studied at UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC a 15 credits (or more) program and you decide to take on a new program with us, you are entitled to a discount of 20% on your program tuition fees. It is required to be registered in the Alumni network of the UPF Barcelona School of Management upon your application. This discount is not applicable to short courses and postgraduate courses which are part of the same itinerary.
- UPF Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree, a master program or a doctoral program at Pompeu Fabra University, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits) beginning on or after 01/01/2019.
- ESCI-UPF and Tecnocampus Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree or a master at ESCI-UPF or Tecnocampus, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
UPF Employee Discounts
If you are a member or family member of an employee of the UPF group or belonged to the collaborating institutions of the UPF Barcelona School of Management, you can enjoy a series of applicable discounts on the tuition fees for your program.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) of Pompeu Fabra University. You are entitled to a 35% discount on tuition fees for open programs subject to prior communication from the rector's office and/or the UPF general manager's office.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) and Teaching and Research Staff (PDI) of the UPF Group. Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- Relatives (up to second degree) of UPF and the UPF's Institute of Continuing Education's Foundation teaching and research staff (PAS and PDI, in Spanish). Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- If you work at a company member of the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation's Board of Trustees or at any of our councils' companies. Discount of 20% on the tuition fees of our master's and postgraduate courses.
Postgraduate Course in Hospital Management: the Chief of Service as a Product Manager