Paperwork and visas

Once accepted to one of our programs, you will have to complete a series of procedures in order to legalize your stay in Spain. We recommend that you consult the website of Living in Barcelona.

Students from the EU:

Students from outside the EU:

  • Obtaining your student visa. In order to study in Spain you must be in possession of a study visa, which is processed in your country of origin. A tourist visa will not suffice.
    There are two types of Student Visas:
    • If your master or postgraduate program is longer than 6 months: You will need a 90-day study visa. Once in Spain, you will have to replace your visa with a TIE (Foreigner’s ID card), the document that legalizes your study period in Spain.
    • If your master or postgraduate program is shorter than 6 months: You will need a 180-day study visa. Don’t forget! Once this period is over, you will not be able to stay in Spain (or apply for a Spanish residency card). If you want to stay for longer, you will have to return to your country and apply for another visa.
  • Obtaining health coverage during your time in Spain. Make sure that your medical insurance is written in Spanish (if not you will have to translate it by a sworn translator and legalize it with the stamp of your consulate) and that all the amounts are stated in Euros. It must include medical assistance, hospitalization in case of accident and surgery. ARAG offers medical insurance for the foreign students of UPF Barcelona School of Management (check any of the "incoming" insurances).
  • Register your entry into Schengen territory, when you enter Schengen territory it is important to ensure that your passport is stamped by the relevant authorities. We recommend that you keep your plane tickets and any other proof of arrival into the Shengen area.
  • Apply for the NIE (Foreign National Identification Number), once you are in Barcelona