Online Postgraduate in Health Economics (in English)
Online Postgraduate in Health Economics (in English)
With the Postgraduate Course in Health Economics, you will specialize in the economics and management of health services and medicine, while being trained to professionally manage the health services of any administration, organization, or health insurance, whether public or private .
This program is part of the University Master's Degree in Health Economics and Pharmacoeconomics. Its topic is oriented to health policy and management, with a focus on the economic evaluation of drugs and medical technologies, economics and financing policies, and their application to the market of health economics (supply and demand).
With the Postgraduate Online Course in Health Economics you will be able to learn the basic concepts and principles that characterize economic analysis and use economic language with ease. In addition, you will learn the basic and fundamental aspects of the techniques and instruments for the economic evaluation of medicines and medical technologies through cost-effectiveness, cost-utility, and cost-benefit analysis.
To do this, you will focus on the use of statistical and econometric techniques in economic analysis in areas as diverse as the relationship between spending and income, the behaviour of drug prescribers, the preparation of pharmacy budgets, or the study of determinants of the effectiveness of a treatment.
Due to its focus on Health Economics, you will carry out economic analyses of the functioning of the health sector and of the economic behaviour of the agents involved in it, with special reference to the application of economic concepts and instruments to the management of health services.
Why choose this program
Gain a prestigious international degree
We offer a prestigious degree, backed by the international recognition of UPF, the number 1 university in Spain, which will allow you to differentiate yourself and meet new professional challenges. The qualification does not mention the online study methodology of the postgraduate course.
Academic excellence at your fingertips
We will connect you with professors of the highest academic level and recognized international trajectory, such as Jaume Puig-Junoy and Carlos Campillo, academics and professionals with extensive experience and recognition in the field of health economics. They will support you and inspire you to achieve your professional goals.
We adapt to you
We offer you flexible and dynamic online training of the highest quality, fully compatible with your work or family responsibilities. In addition, you will train at your own pace and from anywhere in the world in the company of a large number of international students, which will allow you to develop skills necessary for the current work context.
Get current relevant content for the sector
After more than 20 courses and with a 92% recommendation rate, it is part of the training agenda of important multinational companies (Bayer, Novartis, Almirall). Its solidity guarantees the necessary tools for health economics, thanks to a global and rigorous approach with content adapted to the current workplace reality.
Who is it for?
The program is aimed at both professionals with management responsibilities, as well as graduates who want to acquire the necessary skills for the management of hospitals, clinical laboratories, public and private health centres, public administrations in charge of the management or financing of medicines and health services, private insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, training centres in drug management and health services, among others.
The Online Postgraduate in Health Economics is part of the Master's Degree in Health Economics and Pharmacoeconomics and covers subjects 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 of the that course, whose focus is Health Policy and Management (economic evaluation of medicines and medical technologies, economics and financing policies, and their application to the market of health economics, supply and demand).
To facilitate day-to-day management and the achievement of your academic goals, the program is structured in teaching units, with which you will acquire instrumental, attitude and conceptual skills. You will have available, in each of them, a progress bar that will indicate the status of completion of the tasks and a recovery period in case you need more time to complete them.
The duration of each teaching unit will be two weeks. Each didactic unit is taught from Wednesday to Tuesday, so that the student can, if they wish, take advantage of the weekend to carry out the activities. A special period will be established to carry out the recovery exercises corresponding to the teaching units that have not been passed.
Each subject is organized into 4 didactic units that combine different active methodologies: didactic content (readings, cases, videos), introductory test, self-evaluation activities, practical evaluation activities, and personalized access to the module tutor via email and other learning complements (complementary bibliography, related articles, and various links).
Author: Jaume Puig-Junoy and José Luis Pinto
Tutor: Jaume Puig-Junoy
The general aim of this module is to introduce the participants to the basic and fundamental aspects of the main techniques and instruments used in the economic evaluation of pharmaceuticals and medical technologies, and apply them to a number of case studies. This is the first of two teaching modules that pursue this objective.
Teacher: Jaume Puig Junoy
Teaching Unit 1. Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Pharmaceuticals, Medical Technologies and Health Programs
Teaching Unit 2. Cost Analysis in Economic Evaluation (1)
Teaching Unit 3. Cost-Utility Analysis
Teaching Unit 4. Cost-Benefit Analysis (1)
Author: Carles Murillo
Tutor: Pilar García Gómez
The aim of this module is to provide the basic tools for analysing the overall behaviour of variables of interest for pharmaceutical and health management. Participants learn how to interpret the results of a selection of statistical and econometric analysis techniques that may be useful in decision-making in this area.
Teacher: Pilar García Gómez
Teaching Unit 1. Measuring the relationship between health care expenditure and income
Teaching Unit 2. Factors Determining the Efficacy of a Treatment
Teaching Unit 3. Building pharmaceutical budgets
Teaching Unit 4. Prescriber behaviour
Author and Tutor: Jaume Puig-Junoy
The basic aim of this module is to enable the participants to analyse the justification for and effectiveness of the main policies for the regulation and funding of pharmaceuticals in a health system.
Teacher: Jaume Puig Junoy
Teaching Unit 1. Pharmaceutical Expenditure: Interpretation and Distinctive Features of the Market
Teaching Unit 2. Insurance and Demand for Pharmaceuticals
Teaching Unit 3. Pharmaceutical Price Regulation
Teaching Unit 4. Patents and Policies Encouraging Competition in the Pharmaceutical Market
Authors: Marisol Rodríguez Martínez and Jaume Puig-Junoy
Tutors: Teaching Unit 1 and 2: Marisol Rodríguez; Teaching Unit 3 and 4: Jaume Puig-Junoy
The basic aim of this module is to guide the participants in the economic analysis of the functioning of the health sector and the economic behaviour of the agents involved in it, with special reference to the application of economic concepts and instruments to the management of health services. This aim is pursued jointly with Module 7 of this program.
Teachers: Carlos Campillo and Marisol Rodríguez
Teaching Unit 1. Economics and its Applicability to the Field of Health
Teaching Unit 2. The Health Production Function and the Analysis of Health Expenditure
Teaching Unit 3. Markets for Health Goods and Services
Teaching Unit 4. Costs, Payment Systems, and Incentives in the Production of Health Services
Authors: Marisol Rodríguez Martínez, Carles Murillo, and Jaume Puig-Junoy
Tutors: Teaching Unit 1 and 2: Marisol Rodríguez; Teaching Unit 3 and 4: Jaume Puig-Junoy
The basic aim of this module is to guide the participants in the economic analysis of the functioning of the health sector and the economic behaviour of the agents involved in it, with special reference to the application of economic concepts and instruments to the management of health services. This aim is pursued jointly with Module 6 of this program.
Teachers: Carlos Campillo and Marisol Rodríguez
Teaching Unit 1. Demand for Health and for Medical Care
Teaching Unit 2. Variability in Medical Practice (VMP)
Teaching Unit 3. Technology, Outsourcing, and Competition in Health Services
Teaching Unit 4. The Goal of Equity in Health: Theory and Applications
Once you have passed the program, you will be awarded the degree of Postgraduate Diploma in Health Economics, issued by Pompeu Fabra University.
Adjunct professor BSM
Teaching Assistant BSM
Adjunct professor BSM
- José Manuel Rodríguez Barrios
Health Economics Lead at Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- PhD in Epidemiology and Public Health from Rey Juan Carlos University. He collaborates with the Research Centre for Health and Economics (CRES) and has the Master in Health Economics and Pharmacoeconomics from UPF-IDEC.
- Jaime Pinilla Domínguez
Professor of Applied Economics of the Quantitative Methods in Economy and Management Department at Las Palmas de Gran Canaria University.
- Marisol Rodríguez Martínez
Professor of Applied Economics at the University of Barcelona.
MSc in Economics from the London School of Economics. She is also a Researcher at the Center for Research in Welfare Economics (CREB) of the University of Barcelona and Associate Researcher in the Research Center for Health and Economics (CRES) of the Pompeu Fabra University.
- Lluís Segú Tolsa
- Primary Healthcare Pharmacist.
Master in Health Economics and Health Management from the University of Barcelona. Degree in Pharmacy.
- Carlos Crespo Palomo
Professor at the Departament of Statistics at the University of Barcelona
PhD in Statistics from the University of Barcelona. He also has a Master in Health Economics and Pharmacoeconomics from Pompeu Fabra University.
At the UPF Barcelona School of Management we are committed to a flexible and dynamic online model, whose aim is to place you as a participant at the centre of the process allowing you to be the owner of the development of your learning.
In order to facilitate day-to-day management and the achievement of your academic goals, the program is structured in subjects, with which you will acquire knowledge, and instrumental and aptitude skills.
All this with 24/7 access to the virtual environment so that you can organize your study without schedules and at your own pace. In this way, you can combine it with your work and personal life, making the most of the time you have for it.
Didactic and interactive teaching materials
Various materials and formats will make your experience more motivating and challenging: videos, case studies, content maps and downloadable resources. Designed and updated periodically by professionals and experts in the field, they put at your disposal the latest knowledge, skills, and tools to take your career to the next level.
Active and collaborative learning
Participation and discussion with your classmates and teachers are essential and enriching for the collaborative learning process. We will provide you with various tools such as the Discussion Forum, where you can propose new topics for debate, comment on and answer questions presented by the teacher or give feedback to interesting comments.
Streaming sessions with experts
We offer videoconference sessions with the expert teacher or special guests, so that you can ask questions, discuss your learning and connect in real time as if you were all in the same place. Flexibility always takes precedence with our courses, which is why we record the sessions so that you can consult them later if you have not been able to connect.
To make your experience more tangible and immediate, you will have the support of fundamental people such as the teacher or expert tutor, who will guide you through the subjects of the program. The program manager will help you in the monitoring and general operation of the program, as well as in the management of procedures or access to other services of the university. And the professional career advisor will guide you in improving your personal brand and in the search for professional opportunities.
The evaluation of each subject will be carried out as follows:
- 75% of the qualification will correspond to the average of the scores obtained in the final exercises of each of the four teaching units. To pass each module, the participant must have a score equal to or greater than 5 in three of the four final exercises of each didactic unit. The final exercise is considered passed if the participant obtains a minimum of 5 answers out of 10 (or equivalent figure if the number of questions is other than 10). In the event that at least the final exercises of three didactic units have not been passed, the module is automatically pending.
- 25% of the grade will correspond to the grade obtained in the individual or group activity established for each module.
- In the case of not passing the module, a period of time will be established during the academic year during which the student will have the possibility of doing, for the second and last time, another final exercise for the teaching units not passed. The individual or group activity carried out for each module will not have a recovery period.
The learning process is characterized by its flexibility, since, in the virtual learning environment, the structure of the school calendar and the diversity of multimedia resources which are made available to the student allows them to acquire knowledge in a self-regulated manner.
The support of the teaching staff and interaction with classmates is carried out by making use of a wide variety of communication channels that facilitate proximity and didactic dialogue. The completion of activities and the Master's Final Project or Postgraduate Final Project is oriented towards professional practice for a high-impact professional transfer.
The Online Postgraduate in Health Economics provides specialized training in health policy and management. Health management is understood in the broadest sense and includes the services of the Public Administration, the centres and services of the health institutions at any of the levels of care, the providers of pharmaceutical services, the evaluation agencies of medicines and medical technologies, as well as the pharmaceutical industry and distributors, insurance companies and consultancies in this sector.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Health Economics is taught in conjunction with the Online Master's Degree in Health Economics and Pharmacoeconomics, so it brings together professionals of more than 20 nationalities, from the health and pharmaceutical sectors, as well as professionals from the economic and business area.
The program is adapted to the needs and requirements of experienced professionals and recent graduates who wish to expand their knowledge in these areas, so it does not require students to have previous knowledge of economics.
Due to the high international participation, the program offers great networking opportunities with other professionals in the sector, in order to create links and working synergies with experts and colleagues.
Average years of professional experience
You can count on our Talent UP professional development program from Careers, a training complement designed to increase the value and positioning of our students in the professional market. This program provides you with tools and resources, through individual career counselling, training activities, company events, and career opportunities.
The program is designed to complement the training of professionals with management responsibilities and graduates interested in acquiring the necessary skills to take on such responsibilities in:
- Hospitals, clinical laboratories, and public and private health centres.
- Public bodies responsible for managing and/or funding pharmaceuticals and health services.
- Private insurance companies.
- Pharmaceutical companies and companies related to the distribution of pharmaceuticals.
- Pharmaceutical and health service management training centres.
- Consultancy and advisory firms related to the health sector, etc.
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
Academic and professional background:
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor's Degree in health, pharmaceutical, health sciences, or economics.
- Graduates from other fields will also be taken into consideration.
- Candidates without a Bachelor´s degree will be able to apply based on their professional and academic achievements.
- A minimum experience of two years in these fields will be positively valued, both nationally and internationally.
Proficiency in English:
In order to be admitted, proof of English level is required:
- TOEFL IBT: > 72
- CAE: B2
- IELTS: > 5.0
- Duolingo: > 115
- Employer letter: HR department letter stating English as the official language of the company, or that the candidate uses English on a daily basis.
*Applicants whose mother tongue is English do not need to present the aforementioned certificate.
*Applicants who have completed their full Bachelor's Degree or any other higher education studies at an English-speaking university must submit written evidence that English was the language of instruction.
*Depending on the undergraduate degree of the participants, additional training will be required. Students will be required to take additional courses that should be done during the first weeks of the Master and do not involve an additional cost. The courses will be in the areas of Global Health, Statistics, and Economics.
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through the following form.
Application for admission
Complete your application within the next admission rounds:
|Round||Application deadline||Admission resolution|
Applications for admission will be evaluated when you complete the following steps:
- Complete the online admission form.
- Pay the €120 admission fee. This amount will be returned if you are not admitted.
- Send the following documents through the online platform e-registrar:
- Presentation letter or video
- Scanned copy of university degree (if you are in the last year of your degree, you can provide your academic records)
- Scanned copy of Transcript of Records. Make sure that it includes your GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Scanned copy of ID Card or Passport
- Passport-size photo (jpg format)
Additional documents may be requested in certain cases.
Application rounds are subject to the number of places available on the program.
- The Admissions Committee will select the candidates on the basis of a personal or CV-based interview.
- You will be notified of the admission decision in writing.
- Registration must be paid within a 15 days after the admission.
- Once the letter of acceptance to the program has been received, you will need to submit the following original documents before the course begins:
- Stamped and/or authenticated photocopy of your university degree.
- If you have a foreign degree you may need to submit additional documents.
- Paying the reservation fee (25% of the program's tuition fees) is essential in order to reserve your place
- If you pay the tuition fees by bank transfer you will be required to introduce the program code. The program code for this course is 2100.
- The remaining tuition fees must be paid 2 weeks before the start of the course.
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Apply for one of our UPF-BSM Scholarships, awarded specifically to Pompeu Fabra University students with a good academic record.
If you are studying your last undergraduate course (4th year) at UPF or at a UPF Group centre and you have a good record, you can apply for a UPF-BSM scholarship. Remember that you must be a graduate and be in possession of your degree (or failing that, the certificate of receipt) when you start the program in which you have enrolled.
- Be in the last undergraduate year at UPF.
- Have a good academic record.
- Have been admitted or are in the process of admission to a Master or Postgraduate course for which you are applying for this Scholarship.
- Apply for the Scholarship at the time of application for admission.
- Submit a motivation letter with the reasons why you have opted for the Scholarship and a list of verifiable merits.
- Upload the required documentation through the eRegistrar platform
- The dates of awarding or denying of the Scholarship will be published on the website.
- The scholarship candidate will personally receive a communication with the procedures to follow in order to formalize it.
- The Scholarship Committee assesses academic talent (average grade of the report) and personal talent (the motivation of the candidate and their merits).
- The UPF-BSM Scholarships are not compatible with specific aid for the programs, scholarships granted by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, and other UPF-BSM scholarships.
- They are compatible with other scholarships from organizations outside the UPF-BSM and with discounts for large families.
They are applied for and granted in accordance with the dates stipulated below:
Academic year programs 2020–21 and 2021–22
- Scholarship application deadline: 03/12/2020, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 14/12/2020
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 01/11/2021
Remember that you must apply for the scholarship when you complete the application for admission to the program that interests you and always before classes start. The Scholarship cannot be processed for a program that is already being studied.
If you have any questions about how to apply for the UPF-BSM Scholarships, you can contact our scholarship secretariat via email.
Social Value Scholarships
UPF Barcelona School of Management, for this next academic year, and aiming at the commitment for social welfare, offers the Social Value Scholarships with the objective of supporting and favoring the groups that the School considers a priority. Enter and consult the details.
These scholarships are intended to favor specific groups, to help them in their professional and personal development or people who are in a situation of economic difficulty.
The Social Value Scholarship program covers from 25% to 70% of the total tuition fee for the master's degree and from 25% to 50% of the total tuition fee for the diploma or postgraduate course for all the programs offered by the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation.
The University Master's Degree in Law and any other master’s degree carried out in conjunction with an institution outside the UPF-BSM are excluded. Also excluded are programs for which the interested party wishes to carry out any recognition. Repeating students will also not be eligible for the scholarship.
- "Impulsa MUJER" (“Promote Woman”)
Aimed at all professional women, from any environment, who wish to study a management program in any area of the company, to occupy leadership positions or to lead a professional project.
Sporty woman: Specifically addressed at professional sportswomen interested in studying the master’s degree in Sports Management in any of its modalities.
- "Post COVID boost"
Aimed at people over 40 who are unemployed or in ERTE. ERTE is a term used in Spain to refer to the suspension for a specific time of the labor contract of part or all the workers of a company due to force majeure. This temporary suspension of the contract has been applied in Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic and remains in effect until the Government and the Employer decide.
- "Entrepreneur Scholarship for local economy"
Aimed at entrepreneurs and small businesses with a direct impact on the local economy and regions that need specific training to boost business.
- You must have applied for admission into one of the master's offered by the UPF Barcelona School of Management (except the Official Master's Program in Advocacy or those master's) and have been admitted to the program for which the grant is being requested.
- Present a letter of motivation with the reasons why you are applying for the scholarship with a list of merits or outstanding aspects that can be contrasted.
Consult the specific criteria for each of the modalities in the rules.
Submit your application for the Social Value Scholarship via the "Application form" of the program that you are interested in.
Submit the documentation via the "Scholarships and Funding" section of the eRegistar platform, to which you will be given access when applying
Please note that your application must meet all the requirements for both documentation and deadlines. Otherwise, it cannot be evaluated.
All documents except for the academic transcript must be in either Catalan, Spanish or English. The academic transcript can be presented in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian or Portuguese. If it is another language it must be accompanied by a sworn official translation into Catalan or Spanish.
Social Value Scholarship applications have to be made at the same time as completing your application for the program and always before classes begin. Social Value Scholarships cannot be processed for a master's program that has already begun.
Equally, applications presented after the deadlines of the established rounds will not be accepted, even if classes have not yet begun.
Social Value Scholarship are applied for and awarded according to the dates outlined below.:
Programmes for the academic year 2021-2022
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 01/11/2021
The Scholarship Committee will only award Social Value Scholarships to those applicants who, having completed the corresponding documentation and been finally admitted to the program for which they are applying, have passed the various tests that may be requested and meet the criteria established in each established typology in which they wish to enter.
The Scholarship Committee will inform each applicant of the decision individually by e-mail, following the dates published on the website.
Grants and discounts
If you are a member of our alumni associations or of one of our partner universities, we offer you a series of applicable discounts on the amount of tuition for your program.
- UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC Alumni: If you have previously studied at UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC a 15 credits (or more) program and you decide to take on a new program with us, you are entitled to a discount of 20% on your program tuition fees. It is required to be registered in the Alumni network of the UPF Barcelona School of Management upon your application. This discount is not applicable to short courses and postgraduate courses which are part of the same itinerary.
- UPF Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree, a master program or a doctoral program at Pompeu Fabra University, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits) beginning on or after 01/01/2019.
- ESCI-UPF and Tecnocampus Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree or a master at ESCI-UPF or Tecnocampus, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
UPF Employee Discounts
If you are a member or family member of an employee of the UPF group or belonged to the collaborating institutions of the UPF Barcelona School of Management, you can enjoy a series of applicable discounts on the tuition fees for your program.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) of Pompeu Fabra University. You are entitled to a 35% discount on tuition fees for open programs subject to prior communication from the rector's office and/or the UPF general manager's office.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) and Teaching and Research Staff (PDI) of the UPF Group. Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- Relatives (up to second degree) of UPF and the UPF's Institute of Continuing Education's Foundation teaching and research staff (PAS and PDI, in Spanish). Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- If you work at a company member of the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation's Board of Trustees or at any of our councils' companies. Discount of 20% on the tuition fees of our master's and postgraduate courses.
UPF Partner Latinoamerican Universities Discount
If you are alumni of one of our Partner Universities, you are entitled to a discount of 10% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduate program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management collaborates with various banks and financial entities which provide study loans on favorable terms. For more information you can contact any of the following links (in Spanish).
Note, however, that in order to benefit from these special conditions you must have a NIE if you are not a European Citizen. Therefore, UPF Barcelona School of Management strongly recommends international students to seek first for students loans at bank entities of their country of origin, or to search for funding opportunities through international entities.
Online Postgraduate in Health Economics (in English)