Master in Scientific, Medical and Environmental Communication
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 18.30 to 21.30 h, and some Tuesdays and Fridays from 18.30 to 21.30 h. During the first two weeks of the programme, classes will be held every day.
Stay ahead and opt for a 10% discount on your tuition if you pay your reservation fee before April 17th, 2020. More information here.
The Master in Scientific, Medical and Environmental Communication prepares you to generate, manage and transmit scientific knowledge and the ideas and applications arising from its use and the associated technological development.
Throughout the program you will analyse the main sources of scientific information, their forms of transmission, as well as the relationships between the expert world, tech industries and society, how discoveries have an impact on people and the ethical problems associated with this whole process of managing knowledge. The module dedicated to medical communication will enable you to know, in-depth, how medical and health knowledge is transmitted. Within the scope of environmental communication, you will analyse the major environmental issues, as well as the challenges posed by biotechnology and genetic engineering. In addition, thanks to the collaboration of Obra Social "la Caixa", you will be able to participate in Campus Gutenberg, in which more than 300 scientific communicators and experts in scientific culture from all around Spain and Europe take part each year.
The Master in Scientific, Medical and Environmental Communication is for university graduates who want to become professionals in scientific communication, a field with considerable applications and career options.
You can choose how to finance your studies between 3 and 59 months by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours. You can also check the special bank loans available to participants in the UPF Barcelona School of Management.
Why this program?
- Because you will learn from experts and professionals in various fields of scientific communication such as Gema Revuelta, the director of the master's program with one of the longest-standing careers in teaching and consulting in scientific and medical communication in both Spain, Europe and internationally; Vladimir de Semir, creator of La Vanguardia's Science and Technology supplement, the first director of this master's program and one of the main promoters of international scientific communication networks; María Josep Picó, an expert in environmental communication; Núria Jar, a freelance journalist who specialises in science and health and contributes to the Rac1 radio station; Bienvenido León, Professor of Audiovisual Scientific Communication at the University of Navarre; Pedro García, a museologist and general manager of EXPOGRAFIC, S.A., and Cristina Aced, an independent communication consultant who specialises in digital communication, among others.
- Because it offers you the possibility of gaining professional internships in institutions such as National Geographic, Scientific American, the National Oncological Research Centre, the Evolutionary Biology Institute CSIC-UPF, the Biomedical Research Institute (IRB), the SINC agency (FECYT), Sincrotrón Alba, the Catalan Scientific Communication Association (ACCC), the Genomics Regulation Centre Foundation, LaCaixa Foundation, TV3's La Marató, the Quèquicom program (TV3), El cazador de cerebros (TV2), the Exploratorium, as well as various media outlets and museums.
- Because it will train you in a profession with many different career options in the areas of scientific, medical and environmental journalism, institutional communication, popular science and scientific museology.
- Because you will have the opportunity to belong to its alumni network, which includes professionals in highly-respected companies and institutions in the sector (media, communication departments of research centres, hospitals and universities, science museums, organizations devoted to popular science and citizen participation, etc.).
- Due to its international scope and success: it has been offered as a classroom-based program for 24 years and for 6 years online. Its reputation has attracted participants from more than 20 different countries.
The Master in Scientific, Medical and Environmental Communication and the world of scientific communication have evolved in parallel to the changes that have taken place in production and access to information. The distribution of information and content in many different forms and formats makes communication a powerful tool for transmitting knowledge and gaining access to culture.
Scientific communication plays a key role in the development of society. The way in which new knowledge is spread and the agents responsible for such communication play a key role in configuring public opinion and attitudes to science.
Scientific communication has always provided enormous added value for all kinds of companies, organizations and institutions and the digital environment offers a new, highly effective dimension in terms of pure transmission of knowledge and the creation of values, reputation and social relationships. Moreover, nowadays information and communication technologies enable us to respond more efficiently to the ever-increasing demands for openness that are naturally arising in society.
The Master in Scientific, Medical and Environmental Communication explains the keys to this transmission of knowledge, how it is generated and managed, and how to make communication a strategic tool for transformation. A pioneering training experience and an initiative with a high social return with considerable applications and career options.
The Master in Scientific, Medical and Environmental Communication is also offered in online form.
Comunicar en Ciencia the blog of the Master in Scientific, Medical and Environmental Communication of the UPF-BSM