Master in Professional Legal Practice
Master in Professional Legal Practice
This is the master for gaining access to the legal profession with the highest pass rate at the state level. A benchmark program in the training of lawyers due to its academic content, its practical methodology, its professional internship program and the great results achieved in the examination for access to the legal profession.
The Master in Professional Legal Practice is the reference program in the training of lawyers. The fruit of collaboration between UPF, which for more than 30 years has provided first-rate training to future lawyers through its Faculty and Department of Law, the Barcelona Bar Association, which for more than 150 years has brought together the lawyers of the Catalan capital, and important firms from the world of law that, in addition, are part of the Academic Council of the master: Cuatrecasas, Garrigues, Roca Junyent, Uría Menéndez, Baker McKenzie, KPMG, and DWF-RCD.
The course trains you in the core areas of litigation, professional ethics, and business legal advice. It specializes in specific professional matters such as bankruptcy, damages, intellectual property, competition, environmental law, and real estate and urban law, among others. As a central component it includes a supervised internship.
The Master in Professional Legal Practice is a unique project that brings together university, professional, public, and private institutions, with a common objective: to provide law graduates with an excellent training that, in the current legal framework, allows them not only to pass the future official exam to gain access to the legal profession, but, above all, to face their practice of law with the maximum guarantees of success.
The Master in Professional Legal Practice has an academic council made up of:
- Joan Picó. Director of the Department of Law of the Pompeu Fabra University.
- Anna Maria Caballé. Dean of the Faculty of Law of the Pompeu Fabra University.
- Cristina Vallejo. Training deputy of the Barcelona Bar Association.
- Pablo Salvador. Professor of Civil Law at the Pompeu Fabra University. Lawyer and counsellor for Cuatrecasas.
- Sergio Sanchez. Lawyer. Partner at Garrigues.
- Joan Roca. Lawyer. Partner at Roca Junyent.
- Victor Ferreres. Professor of Constitutional Law at the Pompeu Fabra University. Consultant for Uría Menéndez.
- Victor Mercedes. Lawyer. Partner at Baker McKenzie.
- Agnès Granés. Lawyer. KPMG Lawyers.
- Ignasi Costas. Partner responsible for the Innovation and Entrepreneurship area and responsible for International Relations at DWF-RCD.
Program jointly offered with:
Why choose this program
Receive a quality study plan
Its contents have been prepared by the Department and Faculty of Law of Pompeu Fabra University, by the Illustrious College of Barcelona Law and 6 of the most prestigious law firms of the city of Barcelona: Cuatrecasas, Garrigues, Roca Junyent, Uria Menéndez, Baker McKenzie, KPMG, and RCD.
Put the contents into practice
The program deals with the legal professional in a practical way with exercises, intervention in debates, and judicial simulations. At the end of the master, you will be able to pass the official exam to enter the practice of law.
Take advantage of the internship program
The master provides access to an internship program in law firms, in companies, and in public and justice administration.
Pass the exam for access to the legal profession
99% of the students of the Master in Professional Legal Practice at UPF Barcelona School of Management who took the official access exam for legal practice between 2016 and 2019 passed it.
The Master in Professional Legal Practice offers the possibility of continuing training with a second specialized master in two of the areas with the most demand in the market: Economic Criminal Law and Compliance, and Labour and Social Security Law.
Master in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance
Spend a few more months training to obtain a second Master in Labour and Social Security Law and complement your professional profile in legal practice in one of the areas of law with the greatest demand for professionals in the market.
Master in Labour and Social Security Law
Continue your training to obtain a second Master in Labour and Social Security Law and thus specialize your professional profile in one of the areas of law with the most professional opportunities.
Who is it for?
The Master in Professional Legal Practice is aimed at Law graduates, mainly from UPF, with the best academic profiles. It is also aimed at those graduates from other Spanish universities with very good academic records and/or who come from double degrees (Business Administration+Law, Law+Criminology, etc.). In the case of international students, due to administrative issues, students must present an accreditation of their qualifications whose process is long and complex.
his is an official master and has the academic recognition of the Ministry of Education of the Government of Spain. The Quality Agency of the University System of Catalonia (AQU Catalunya) has institutionally accredited the UPF-BSM. This accreditation certifies all the official university master's degrees that we teach and recognizes the quality of our educational model in accordance with the criteria of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).
The Master in Professional Legal Practice consists of 90 ECTS credits. A first block of 30 ECTS credits corresponds to compulsory content.
A second block of 24 ECTS credits corresponds to elective content. It is possible to enrol in more electives than the 3 required, by paying the corresponding amount that can be consulted once the enrolment is formalized.
To complete the course, you must carry out a Master's Final Project (6 ECTS credits) as well as carry out professional internships (30 ECTS credits).
Compulsory Contents (30 ECTS credits)
Optional Contents (24 ECTS credits)
Master's Final Project (6 ECTS credits)
Drafting of an opinion on a matter with practical legal relevance that proves correct integration of the theoretical and practical knowledge acquired by the student throughout the training courses and the internship.
Professional internships (30 ECTS credits)
The master's will organize, during the learning period, a series of voluntary extracurricular activities: attendance at trials and custody of detainees, trial simulations, workshops organized by collaborating companies and firms, specific training in public speaking and legal English, etc.
3 groups will be created: two whose teaching languages will be Catalan, Spanish and English, and one in Spanish and English.
BSM Inside is a transversal and interdisciplinary module, common to all master's and postgraduate degrees at UPF Barcelona School of Management, which has been conceived to work on a set of key competencies for professional development in conjunction with the real needs of today's organizations.
This module extends throughout the academic year and is made up of 3 areas of knowledge that constitute the identity traits of the UPF-BSM: Communication; Entrepreneurship and Innovation; and Planetary Well-being and Humanities.
All the subjects of the BSM Inside module are 100% online and have been designed as self-learning subjects: from the first day of the subject until the end of the term you will have all the teaching materials available on the eCampus and you can work with the material and the different activities that it contains at your own pace, according to your availability and in a self-organized way.
Once students have completed the course they will obtain the Máster Universitario en Abogacía official Master's Degree, issued by the Pompeu Fabra University.
Issuance of official Master's Degrees: The amount stipulated in the DOGC (Official Gazette of the Government of Catalonia) must be paid for the rights to issue the degree. This rate varies annually and the rate in force at the time of application for the degree will be applied.
The faculty of the Master in Professional Legal Practice at UPF Barcelona School of Management is composed by professors of the Department and Faculty of Law of Pompeu Fabra University and professionals of the Illustrious College of Barcelona Law who work in the most prestigious law firms of the city of Barcelona.
Full Professor UPF
- Joan Carles Seuba Torreblanca
Coordinador del Máster Universitario en Abogacía.
Profesor titular de Derecho Civil de la Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Laia Folch
Responsable de formación inicial y prácticas del ICAB.
Puedes consultar los profesores de cada asignatura en el apartado Plan de Estudios
The fundamental aim of the Master in Professional Legal Practice is that, as a future lawyer, you get the knowledge and specific skills for the exercise of your profession according to Articles 10 and 14 of the Regulation of Law 34/2006. The combination of theoretical content and practical cases and simulations allow what was learned in class to be implemented.
Content suitable for the official exam
With the compulsory subjects in the master, the aim is to guarantee adequate preparation for the official examination for access to the legal profession which, complemented with the specialization provided by the optional subjects, places the student in the best conditions to start their professional career as a lawyer.
They make up the main content block of the master's program. From the problems posed by real cases, students will be able to apply both procedural and substantive law, and internal and community law while resolving them. The writing of legal documents (claims, complaints, appeals) and their oral defence (trial simulations and oral hearings) play an essential role in these subjects.
Other essential content
Essential contents for the practice of law are also studied, such as professional ethics, negotiation, and the organization of the office, which will play a fundamental role in the subsequent official examination.
Large number and variety of electives
The master offers 22 optional subjects.
The master will organize a series of voluntary extracurricular activities during the school period: attendance at trials and custody of detainees, trial simulations, workshops organized by collaborating companies and firms, specific training (such as public speaking and legal English), etc.
To be awarded the corresponding master, you must pass all the subjects, the evaluation of which will depend on the corresponding professor and which may consist of continuous evaluation, the completion of a task/exercise, or a final exam. The Master's Final Project must also be approved, you must regularly attend class and you must pass the practical exercises and compulsory work, whose delivery and preparation conditions will be set, in each case, by the professionals who commission them.
Project-oriented learning and the combination of lectures and active methodologies such as case studies, flipped learning, solving real problems and professional simulations allow the student to connect theory and practice, acquire advanced skills and achieve learning which is transferable to work.
You will have:
- Master's or postgraduate work to learn by doing
- A personal mentor to monitor your Master's Final Project (TFM) or Postgraduate Final Project (TFP)
- Digital resources to achieve transversal skills
- Interdisciplinary activities and workshops
The Master in Professional Legal Practice is aimed at law graduates with a good academic record who wish to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for the practice of law once they have passed the official exam. Internships can be carried out both in law firms and in companies and institutions of the public and judicial administration.
Every year, the program of the master brings together recent law graduates, mainly from the city of Barcelona. It is therefore attracts a junior profile, with the previous experience acquired in the professional internships carried out during the Degree in Law.
Students passing the official exam for access to the profession (2016–19)
To pass the master, each student must complete a curricular internship with a value of 30 ECTS credits. The internships will be full-time and will take place between the months of June and November in the law firms, companies, and institutions that collaborate with the program. The stay will be stewarded by an experienced lawyer with the supervision of a team of tutors and will aim to give the student the ability to:
- Face professional ethical problems.
- Be familiar with the operation and problems of institutions related to the practice of the legal profession
- Know the activity of other legal operators, as well as professionals related to the exercise of the profession.
- Receive updated information on the development of the profession and possible lines of activity, as well as on the instruments to manage them.
- In general, develop the skills and abilities necessary for the practice of law.
The objective of the Master in Professional Legal Practice is to provide law graduates with excellent training that, in the current legal framework, allows them not only to pass the future official exam, but, above all, to face their professional career in the legal profession with the maximum guarantees of success.
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
In addition to meeting the general entrance requirements stipulated in the regulations in force, in order to be accepted on the Official Master's Degree Program, the following specific admission requirements stipulated in article 2 of Act 34/2006 and articles 2 and 3 of its developing Regulation (Royal Decree 775/2011 of 3 June) must be met for all programs that allow access to said profession. These requirements are as follows:
- Holding a law degree or another equivalent university degree that meets the requirements stipulated in the following section.
- University degrees that accredit acquisition of the following legal competencies:
- Knowing and understanding the elements, structure, resources, interpretation and application of the legal system and interpreting the sources of law and legal concepts that are fundamental in each of the different legal frameworks.
- Knowing and understanding the legal dispute-resolution mechanisms and procedures, as well as the legal position of people in their relationships with the public authorities and, in general, with the political powers.
- Knowing and being able to apply the criteria for priority of sources in order to determine the regulations applicable in each case, in particular in accordance with the constitutional rules, principles and values.
- Interpreting legal texts from an interdisciplinary perspective, using legal principles and social, ethical and deontological values and principles as analysis tools.
- Taking a position, with a convincing legal argument, on a theoretical question concerning the various legal areas.
- Resolving practical cases in accordance with the positive law in force, involving prior preparation of material, pinpointing problematic questions, selecting and interpreting the applicable point of positive law and well-argued presentation of the subsumption.
- Skilfully and precisely employing legal language and the terminology specific to the various legal areas: Drafting legal documents in an orderly and comprehensible manner. Communicating ideas, arguments and legal reasoning orally and in writing, using appropriate registers in each context.
- Using information and communication technology to search for and obtain legal information (legislation, case law and bibliography databases, etc.), as well as work and communication tools.
Students whose native language is not Spanish, or have not followed previous official studies in this language, must have at least a B2 level certification (Common European Framework of Reference), as well as pass, fluently, a personal interview with the Academic Board in cases where this is required.
Participants with qualifications obtained abroad:
Participants with qualifications obtained abroad (inside or outside the European Economic Area) who would like to take the professional aptitude assessment test to practise as a lawyer after successfully passing the master's degree must hold the credential recognising their foreign law qualification on the master's degree admission date (regarding this see the informative note on the system applicable to qualifications obtained abroad in order to obtain the professional qualification of lawyer or court liaison issued by the Ministry of Justice on 27 July 2016.
There are also procedures for recognition of the qualifications or university admission of students who have begun university studies to comply with this regulatory requirement governing the assessment test to obtain the professional qualification of lawyer or court liaison.
Mandatory documentation* to submit the application for admission (digital format):
- Presentation letter or video;
- Updated Curriculum Vitae;
- Simple copy in digital format of the updated academic record with all the grades of the subjects taken at the degree level. Files will only be accepted which have, as a minimum, the grades obtained up to the first quarter or semester included, the number of pending ECTS credits, and the average mark (scale 1-10); final year students who can prove that they are on Erasmus must present a file that includes at least the marks of the first three years of the Degree.
- Simple copy in digital format of the qualification associated with the academic record presented. If you still do not have it, you must send it to us before the start date of the program. Otherwise, admission will be cancelled and you will not be able to start the program.
- If you are a student with a degree obtained abroad (either in the European Economic Area or outside it) and you want to be able to attend the evaluation test to obtain the professional title of lawyer or court attorney, you must also provide the accreditation of your degree.
- Scanned copy of your ID or passport;
- Passport size photograph (jpg format);
*If necessary, additional information may be requested.
Documentation of value:
- Certificate of B2 level in English or other languages (only certificates issued by recognized bodies will be valued).
- Certification of other undergraduate studies obtained or in progress (registration form or academic record).
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through its form.
Application for admission
The 2nd round admission application form will open on 3rd of May. The dates of the admission periods (application deadline, final decision, etc.) are detailed below:
|Rounds||1st round||2nd round|
|Application fee deadline (120€)||05/03/2021||02/06/2021|
|Application documents deadline||12/03/2021||11/06/2021|
|Reservation fee payment (25%)||05/05/2021||07/07/2021|
- Complete the online admission form.
- Make a €120 advance registration fee payment. This sum will be refunded if the applicant is not accepted but will not be refunded if the admission process is abandoned.
- In order to complete your application we would ask you to send us the aforementioned documents in order to evaluate your profile and suitability of the programme. This documentation will be presented via a specific platform to which you will be given access.
Applications for admission will be assessed following the admission period schedule, the final decision for the application for admission will be sent by email.
Once the programme acceptance letter has been received, and before beginning your academic activity, you will be required to present the following original documentation:
- Certified copy of university degree
- Certified copy of official academic transcript
If you have a foreign qualification, consult the documentation to be presented here.
In order to guarantee your place you must make payment of the reservation fee on the given date and complete formal registration.
If you choose the option to pay by bank transfer we will ask you to enter the program code. For this program, the code is
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Grants and discounts
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management collaborates with various banks and financial entities which provide study loans on favorable terms. For more information you can contact any of the following links (in Spanish).
Note, however, that in order to benefit from these special conditions you must have a NIE if you are not a European Citizen. Therefore, UPF Barcelona School of Management strongly recommends international students to seek first for students loans at bank entities of their country of origin, or to search for funding opportunities through international entities.
Master in Professional Legal Practice