Master in Scientific, Medical and Environmental Communication

Methodology

The training in this master's program, which was a pioneer in terms of its characteristics when it began 25 years ago, has always been aimed at building professional skills in all spheres of scientific communication: journalism, corporate communication and museology. Each year the program is adapted and updated as these sectors evolve, in parallel with the sciences themselves. The best sign of this is the career options that participants have chosen over the years, which have evolved together with the country's social model and economic situation.

Since it is a master's program with a professional focus, we can introduce programs, research and activities closely linked to the professional, social and cultural needs and concerns of society and, naturally, companies and the political and administrative institutions of our time. The main objective is to train experts in mediating between science/technology and society. The master's program thus offers great interdisciplinarity (among teachers and students), a balance between theory and practice, and unique group dynamics. In addition, by producing an individual master's degree project, students have the opportunity to create a final product of their choice that coherently integrates the knowledge acquired through the program.

We should point out that 70% of the students that have studied the master's program are scientists (of all kinds). The other 30% come from a social science background (journalists, communicators, marketing specialists, sociologists, linguists and philosophers). This interdisciplinary composition of the group is strengthened with direct contact with teaching staff who are mainly active professionals from the various sectors of scientific communication. This contact greatly opens up the career options available to students.
In summary: it is an excellent, intense working environment that extends beyond the classroom and that, in many cases, goes beyond the master's program itself.

The Challenge experience

(video in Spanish)

Tools

Face-to-face masters programs, postgraduate courses and short courses at UPF Barcelona School of Management combine active student participation with the teaching of theoretical and practical concepts. This type of learning focuses on discussing and resolving case studies in the classroom and applying the knowledge acquired to real-life situations. Face-to face programs use Aula Global, the virtual campus, to maintain continuity between classroom sessions.

.