Master in Literary Creation
Program curriculum and final degree
The details of the content of each module, as well as the recommended reading and features of the exercises that must be submitted, will be specified at the start of the course.
- Literary creation: history and foundations This module is an introduction to the history of literary creation through the great works and authors that have shaped Western tradition. From the Middle Ages to the Modern Age, various canonical and significant texts from various genres will be analysed, identifying the reasons why they may be used as examples in the creation of contemporary literary works.
- Literary writing in Spanish Description and analysis of literary language. Introduction to the techniques of literary creation in main contemporary genres. Specific issues and practical solutions in literary writing in Spanish.
- Literary writing in Catalan (given in catalan) Description and analysis of literary language. Introduction to the techniques of literary creation in main contemporary genres. Specific issues and practical solutions in literary writing in Catalan.
- Stories History of the contemporary story and short stories. Description and analysis of the specific techniques of the genre. Writing practices for original stories.
- Novels History and technique of the novel. Description and analysis of the specific techniques of the genre: narrative voice, structure, characters, situations, narrative time. Writing practices and original novel project.
- Poetry Description and study of the formal and imaginary mechanisms of poetry (metrics and rhythm, metaphor and figurative language, lyrical subjects, themes and forms). Development of the ability to analyse and judge poems from different periods, with special attention to contemporary poetry. Writing practices for original poetry.
- Non-fiction Examination of the various forms and current possibilities of non-fiction literature, with special attention to modes of "I" in modernity: essays, memoirs and diaries. Writing practices for non-fiction texts.
- New forms and new areas Exploration of inter-genre possibilities. Relationships and interferences between important genres to create original works. Potential of new media: hypertext and literary blogs. Practices for writing in these areas.
- The crafts of novel writing and literature Editorial work today. The process of publishing a book in professional literary publishing houses: preparing the original, editing, design and layout, proofreading, editorial reports.
PRACTICUM Tutorials, seminars, conferences and preparation of the Final Master's Project.
This module deals with three key skills that future professionals need in order to achieve success in any area, and to quickly and efficiently respond to the constant challenges that emerge in business. The subjects coincide with UPF Barcelona School of Management's key identifying features: analytical capacity, communication and social purpose.
- Evidence-based management: This subject brings us closer to professional decision making through prudent, clear and precise data analysis. Real life, relevant examples give students an opportunity to discover the manifold opportunities that big data can provide to different professional sectors.
- Storytelling: In this subject we develop the functions and mechanisms of audiovisual narrative (storytelling) and we apply them to professional communication. We tackle issues such as how to create communications that make an impact (on a personal, project and corporate level) as well as interpersonal communication and team motivation. The goal is to help professionals transmit any idea successfully, with creativity and energy.
- Ethics and sustainability: Professionals in all sectors have to deal with issues relating to ethics and sustainability throughout their working lives. In this subject, we focus on identifying, analysing and effectively responding to these questions.
- Project Management: The objective of this subject is that the participants transfer the concepts and processes that are specific to project management into both their own professional context and the development of their own project within the program they are taking at the UPF-UPF Barcelona School of Management.
- CCLab: The CCLab aims to help you improve your communication skills so that you are able to present your ideas and projects effectively.
* The information contained herein may be subject to changes.
Upon successfully completing the program, students will receive a Master's Degree in Literary Creation, awarded by Pompeu Fabra University. Class attendance, passing the corresponding tests and submission of set assignments are essential in order to obtain the qualification.