Executive MBA program
Program curriculum and final degree
INTENSIVE STARTING WEEK: PROJECT TO DEVELOP (Tuesday to Friday from 9 to 19 hours)
Core subjects of the Executive MBA: Click here to download the program in PDF (in Spanish)
- Fundamentals for Learning: We promote group cohesion and networking from the first day to facilitate the best learning experience in a collaborative environment.
- Sector Trends: We will review the latest trends in different markets and sectors to help you decide the project that you will define and will develop throughout the Executive MBA.
- From the Idea to the Individual Project: You will participate in creativity workshops to shape the idea on which you will develop your individual business project. You will also attend a Design Thinking session to support the definition of the project and you will begin to work and develop Entrepreneurship concepts.
- Leadership and Management Development (transversal subject throughout the Executive MBA that begins this first week): You will analyze and practice the skills necessary to obtain results through and with people: ethics and sustainability, cooperation, adaptive thinking, self-awareness and self-directed learning, personal leadership and leadership models and styles (online and remote included), teamwork, treatment and management of conflicts in the organization, crisis management, negotiation, motivation, communication and skills to lead meetings and presentations and business communication skills, especially emphasizing practical exercises and role playing. This course also includes a block focused on the acquisition of skills and competencies so that you can make successful public presentations, as well as individual and personalized coaching sessions with an expert coach in profiles like yours. You will also have individual and personalized sessions with a career advisor from our Careers Department specialized in EMBA profiles, so that you can manage and develop your professional career according to your objectives and concerns.
FIRST TRIMESTER - ENVIRONMENT AND SECTOR
- Competitive Strategy and New Business Models: You will know the direction of the company integrating the set of functional areas, connecting the immediate perspective with the long-term perspective. You will analyze the adaptation of the company to its environment, proposing solutions to interpret competitive situations and the evolution of markets. You will understand the impact of organizational change and will examine strategic implementation.
- Quantitative Meyhods for Decision-Making: This subject refers to quantitative techniques that help make business decisions in complex situations. In it, you will deal with, among others, complete linear programming, multi-criteria models, queue and network management, and decision models.
- Business Economics: You will know and understand the economic foundations of business activity through the analysis of the proposals, decisions and evolution of the company from an economic perspective and the exchange and contractual relations between all the agents involved.
SECOND TRIMESTER- MARKET ANALYSIS AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing Management: You will learn in depth to carry out the analysis prior to the development of a marketing plan and the different applications of market research. You will also discuss about sales management and its elements, which define the sales strategy and help carry out the marketing plan.
- Management Accounting: You will learn to calculate the costs of the products, services, departments, activities and processes of any company, as well as to develop budget and management control.
- Management of Logistics and Production Processes: Referring to product design and process selection in production and service companies, through this subject you will delve into total quality management (TQM), capacity planning and localization methods, stock management, forecasting, time series analysis, independent demand, economic lot and dependent demand: MRP and JIT, among other topics.
- Strategic and Digital Marketing: Its core is the analysis of the global and particular aspects of product, market and channel strategies in consumer, industrial and service markets. For this reason, you will analyze strategies and full marketing plans of different companies, sectors and environments, and their relationship with the general strategy of the organization.
- Leadership and Team Management: It recognizes the competitive advantage par excellence that the role of people currently has in the company. From this perspective, you will delve into planning and organization, selection, training and promotion, job analysis and assessment, performance evaluation and remuneration systems. Elements that allow understanding the operation of this area and designing a policy appropriate to the needs of the company.
THIRD TRIMESTER - INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENT
- Operations and Global Supply Chain Management: The tools for analyzing the Operations of a company are used to align its outputs with the strategic options of the top management. The different levers available to the Production Management to improve processes are analyzed. Specifically, topics such as operations in service companies, purchasing systems and international operations, among others, are covered. You will understand the strategy and methods of aggregate planning, short-term scheduling, project planning and control, distribution network logistics, transportation planning, information systems and applications for operations management, interaction with the rest of functional areas and integration into the strategy.
- Corporate Finance: Its purpose is to teach you how to master different planning tools and project feasibility analysis, as well as the analytical techniques of financial statements in the study of annual accounts. You will be able to diagnose the business economic-financial situation and evolution and you will prepare and interpret provisional balances, generated cash-flow reports and treasury budgets. The alternatives for accessing financial resources are also studied and the various investment options available to the top management are studied in depth: stock market, financial futures, financial options, investment alternatives in fixed income.
- International Business Management: This subject is about the opportunities and threats that come with running a company in different countries. You will learn, among other topics, the process of internationalization of the company, competition in globalized environments, the crossing of cultures and collaboration in multidisciplinary teams.
- Outdoor training: In the context of the transversal subject Leadership and Management Development, the Executive MBA includes in this third term a weekend of disconnection in a mountain hotel, in which team building activities are carried out with the aim of identifying roles and leadership and improve managerial and team management skills.
FOURTH TRIMESTER - ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL FEASIBILITY
- Financial Markets: You will delve into the keys to investment and financing and their relationship with macroeconomic aspects, as well as the criteria for inserting financial concepts into strategy and business planning.
- Digital Business and Technology: This subject describes the main information technology and telecommunications resources at the service of the company. You will understand the processing of information and the repercussions in the functional areas and in the processes of the organization, the decision support systems and the integration with the strategy and its relationship with the human team.
- Business and Entrepreneurship Simulation: You will carry out a business simulation in order to get in touch with business decision-making. You will decide on the future trajectory of the organization by making resource allocation decisions in a multi-exercise scenario to achieve its objectives. You will also develop managerial skills and the ability to work in a team.
Master's Thesis: Business Plan
The Executive MBA includes an individual project that the participant defines at the beginning of the program and works throughout the course.
For the development of the project, the Academic Board will assign you a mentor and different experts who will accompany and guide you throughout the Executive MBA.
The project must generate a positive impact on the company, the market and/or society and must respond to a real business challenge: it can address any problem, opportunity or initiative that the participant experiences in any of its areas or business units.
Its objectives define the knowledge and academic contents that are learned throughout the program.
It allows developing business analysis and diagnostic skills and formulating viable proposals for their implementation.
The UPF Barcelona School of Management has prepared a range of optional subjects in the areas of Accounting and Finance, Marketing and Sales and General Management.
This list is subject to update:
- International Study Trip (London and Stockholm)
- Business Communication Skills (in English)
- Company Evaluation (in English)
- Creative Branding for Business (in English)
- Business Analytics & Data Economy (in English)
- Behavioral Science for Managers (in English)
- Riesgos Estratégicos y Gobernanza Corporativa - Strategic Risks and Corporate Governance (possible to do it in Spanish and English)
- Cambio Cultural en Entornos Digitales - Cultural Change in Digital Environments (possible to do it in Spanish and English)
- Emprendeduría Social - Social Entrepreneurship (possible to do it in Spanish and English)
- Cross-Cultural Management
- Fintech, Cryptocurrencies and New Players
- Viewing Information for Decision Making
- Decision Making Based on Game Theory
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Corporate Sustainability
- Technological Disruption in Organizations
- Global Vision of International Business Reality
- Budget Control and Management Control
- Key Factors for the Success of a Start-up
- Social Media, E-commerce and Digital Media Planning
- Entrepreneurship and Development of New Business Models
- Innovate to Transform
- Business Transformation
(Note: The elective subjects offered may vary depending on the demand and the availability of the teaching staff)
The Executive MBA ends with the launching of a challenge in a real company: the participants, organized into teams, compete to develop a solution proposal and the company itself selects the best of them. The Oncological Foundation of Catalonia, the Sant Juan de Dios Hospital, the Josep Carreres Foundation and the companies Dinners that matter and La Fageda are some examples of organizations with which we have collaborated in the development of the MBA Challenge.
After completing the program, participants will receive the official Master's degree in Business Administration and Management. MBA, Issued by Pompeu Fabra University.
University master's degree: The amount stipulated in the DOGC (the Official Gazette of the Generalitat de Catalunya, the Government of Catalonia) must be paid for the rights to issue the title. This fee varies annually and the fee in force at the time of application for the title will apply.