Click here to sign up!
For the eighth year, this debate meeting is being held on the major challenges, opportunities and problems of the world of books and current publishing. This year's Forum Forum will take place at the UPF Barcelona School of Management facilities from Monday 4 to Wednesday 6 September.
The Forum Edita constitutes a platform where local and international experts annually debate the main challenges facing the publishing sector, with a professional and practical approach.
Laia de Nadal, chancellor of Pompeu Fabra University - Barcelona, and Patrici Tixis Padrosa, president of the Editors' Guild of Catalonia, will be in charge of opening these days, accompanied by the paleontologist and co-director of the research team of Atapuerca, Juan Luis Arsuaga, and the co-director of Forum Edita, Sergio Vila-Sanjuán.
These days are co-directed by the director and creator of the #UPFBSM Master's in Publishing, Javier Aparicio Maydeu.
In this 2023 edition, entitled "The coming future", paleontologist Juan Luis Arsuaga will bring the forms of knowledge and reading of the most distant past into contact with the changes that are being experienced today. Specialists in the literary, technical and intellectual property fields will analyze the ways in which Artificial Intelligence will affect the book sector. The massive return of young people to reading, against everything that had been said, will give rise to a round table and a meeting with the young best-selling author Joana Marcús.
Throughout the three days, the meeting will bring together local and international experts such as Josep M. Ganyet, computer engineer specialized in Artificial Intelligence; Elvira Marco, curator of the Spain Country Guest of Honor project at the Frankfurt Book Fair 2022; Izaskun Arretxe, director of the Institution of Catalan Letters; and Javier Arrevola, general director of Casa del Llibre.
The Forum Edita has the support of Barcelona City Council, the Department of Culture of the Generalitat de Catalunya, the Ministry of Culture and Sport and the Provincial Council of Barcelona; the sponsorship of CEDRO; the collaboration of the Federation of Publishers' Guilds of Spain and the Association of Catalan Language Publishers; and the participation of Agencia EFE and Crea Cultura.
Program of the Forum Edita Barcelona 2023; "The Future to Come"
Location: Auditorium, UPF Barcelona School of Management (C. Balmes, 132-134)
Monday, September 4, 2023
- 7:00 pm Institutional welcome by Patrici Tixis, president of the Publishers Guild of Catalonia and Laia de Nadal Clanchet, chancellor of Pompeu Fabra University
- Opening talk by Juan Luis Arsuaga (paleontologist and co-director of the Atapuerca research team) and Sergio Vila-Sanjuán (co-director of Forum Edita)
Tuesday, September 5, 2023
- 9.15 am Presentation of the conference, by Javier Aparicio Maydeu, co-director of Forum Edita
- 9.30 am Analysis of trends in the publishing sector (presentation) by Rüdiger Wischenbart (publishing consultant) [online]
- 10.00 am The publishing market in Spain (presentation) by Ignacio López (GfK consultant)
- 10.45 am The future of the book sector in Europe (conversation) [video] by Tomasz Frankowski (MEP and member of the Culture and Education Committee) and Toni Iturbe (journalist and writer)
- 11.15 am Break
Blog: Artificial Intelligence
- 11.30 am Artificial intelligence, narratives and aesthetics (presentation) by Jorge Carrión (writer and literary critic)
- 12.15 pm Artificial Intelligence, a technical approach (conversation) by Josep Maria Ganyet (computer engineer specialized in Artificial Intelligence) and Javier Aparicio Maydeu (co-director of Forum Edita)
- 1.15 pm Artificial Intelligence and Intellectual Property (conversation) by Daniel Fernández (publisher and president of the Federación de Gremios de Editores de España) and Ibán García del Blanco (Member of the European Parliament)
- 2.00 pm End of the morning session
- 4.30pm Artificial Intelligence: tools and content (presentation) by Jorge Corrales (director general of CEDRO)
Blog: Bookstores, a revolution underway
- 5.30pm Independent bookstores (presentation) by Mario Tascón (writer, journalist and consultant specialized in the digital world and new media) and Bookstore chains by Javier Arrevola (general manager of Casa del Llibre)
- 6.30pm End of the afternoon session
Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Blog: Administration strategies for the promotion of books and reading
- 9.30 am María José Gálvez (Director General of Libro y el Fomento de la Lectura, acting), Frankfurt 2022: Methodology and results (presentation), Dirección General del Libro and Elvira Marco (curator of the Spain Country Guest of Honor project at the Frankfurt Book Fair 2022)
- 10.00 am Catalan National Book and Reading Plan (conversation) by Izaskun Arretxe (director of the Catalan Literature Institute), Montserrat Ayats (coordinator of the Catalan National Book and Reading Plan) and Toni Iturbe (journalist and writer)
Blog: Young people are reading again
- 10.30am Conversation between Joana Marcús (writer) and Toni Iturbe (journalist and writer)
- 11.30 am Break
- 12:00 pm New habits and reading comprehension (Round table). Paulo Cosín (publisher and founder of Ediciones Morata), Anna Pardos (Mixa) (booktuber, literary prescriber and cultural facilitator. Associació de Joves Lectors Catalans) and Rosa Maria Dos Santos (librarian at Escola Pia Diputació) are participating. Moderator: Enric Masllorens (educator and editor)
- 1:00 pm Editing and language (closing presentation) by Lola Pons (professor at the University of Seville, philologist and language historian)
- 1.45 pm Summary of the conference, by Sergio Vila-Sanjuán, co-director of Forum Edita
- 2.00 pm End of days