Democracy, justice and equality: a dialogue between Spain and Latin America
The high levels of inequality and social injustice in the world today challenge our democracies. The situation is not only serious in Latin America, one of the hardest hit regions on the planet, but also in Europe, where levels of political disaffection are growing.
In both the North and South, conservative political alternatives question human rights and challenge public policies that build equality. How does this challenge our universities?
In this context and as part of the 2022 Global Higher Education Week, which will be held in Barcelona from 16 to 22 May with different events, the Latin American Council of Social Sciences (CLACSO) of UNESCO is organising, together with the Barcelona City Council, the Ministry of Universities and the UPF Barcelona School of Management (UPF-BSM), the debate "Democracy, justice and equality: a dialogue between Spain and Latin America".
The session, which will be held on 19 May at 11:30 am in the Balmes Auditorium of the UPF-BSM, will be attended by the Rector of the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF), Oriol Amat; the Minister of Universities, Joan Subirats; the Mayor of Barcelona, Ada Colau; the Executive Secretary of CLACSO, Karina Batthyanhy; the Director of the CIPDH-UNESCO, Fernanda Gil Lozano; and the Coordinator of the School of Latin American and Global Studies, Pablo Gentili.
Attendance in person will require prior registration through this form. The debate can also be followed by streaming.
11:30h - Welcome
- Prof. Oriol Amat, Rector of the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF)
- Mr. Gerardo Pisarello, First Secretary of the Congreso de los Diputados
- Mr. Joan Sobirats, Minister of Universities
- Ms. Ada Colau, Mayor of Barcelona
- Prof. Fernanda Gil Lozano, Director of CIPDH-UNESCO
- Prof. Karina Batthyany, Executive Secretary of CLACSO
- Mr. Pablo Gentili, Coordinator of the School of Latin American and Global Studies
13h - Closing