Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade
Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade
Foreign trade and international business are some of the specializations of the business world with the greatest professional future. All the big companies in the world need experts with a global perspective who know how to expand their business and look for new business opportunities. With the Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade you will be able to identify, master and analyse international markets while you specialize in the management of imports and exports.
With the Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade, you will specialize in the management and business of imports and exports at the international level of your company.
The team of market research professors at the Pompeu Fabra University, as well as active professionals in the sector, will help you create an improvement plan for an international company, manage the customs department of a company or carry out international market research. In addition, this postgraduate course will enable you to develop a professional career in export departments of companies with international activity, as well as in export management, trading companies and international logistics.
You will get a unique and specialized vision of business thanks to understanding the different realities that occur when you export a product to several countries, seen from different points of view within the same company.
Why choose this program
Specialize in the international market
You will learn to manage and promote your product in the international market and to understand how the socio-economic framework of each of the continents works and what their customs characteristics are.
Learn from teachers with a global perspective
Professionals and academics from the Pompeu Fabra University, the Observatory of Relations with Latin America, and renowned companies and institutions will help you acquire practical knowledge of business.
Get transversal management skills
You will learn how to focus on the client or the company depending on their social, economic and cultural environment, thanks to the managerial and leadership skills that you will acquire.
Who is it for?
The Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade is aimed at business professionals who wish to lead export departments of companies with international activity, as well as those in export management, trading companies, customs and international logistics.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade is structured in 4 large modules that are part of the Online Master's Degree in International Business
Globalization and international trade. Overview of international markets in the current economic, social and political situation in the world. Commercial policies and attracting investment. Financial environment. Intermediaries and institutions in the capital market. Financial markets.
Advantages of productive specialization. Product life cycle. Competitive forces. Policies for commercial and attracting investment. Business cooperation. Measuring the foreign sector: balance of payments. Inter and intra-industrial trade. Horizontal and vertical differentiation. Quality ranges. Specialization and growth.
Economic cooperation and integration. International economic institutions: WTO. Regional integration processes in the world. The European Union. Online information sources. Free trade agreements with countries and trade blocs in the world.
Instruments for understanding markets and productive sectors. Information sources for market research. Case studies related to countries, sectors, products and services.
The internationalization process. Sources of competitive advantage. Corporate governance and social responsibility of the company. External analysis and scenarios. Generic and growth strategies. Implementation of the strategy.
From domestic to international marketing. Value for the company: product or customer? Check-list of internationalization of the product. Brand management. Cobranding. Distribution and networking. Price fixing. International communication. Preparation of the marketing plan in practice. Sales and marketing.
The importance of culture in business. Culture as a source of competitive advantage or disadvantage. Simulating culture shock. Exploring culture. Interactive cultural spheres. The international negotiation process. Negotiation in a global economy. International business simulation in different environments.
International logistics. The logistics function and comprehensive logistics. The transport of goods: types and means. Cargo in international transport: documentation and legal protection. Commercial exploitation of transport. Warehouse management.
Incoterms. International sale contract: clauses. Intermediation contracts: commercial agency and distribution. Legislation and mandatory rules: indemnification for the agent upon expiry of the contract. Franchise contracts. Technology transfer contracts. The Harmonized Coding System (HS). Combined nomenclature TARIC codes. Customs documents. Import and export clearance. Customs regimes. Tariff barriers: duties and taxes. Intra-community sales: Intrastat document. Export trade regimes.
Methods of international payment. Cheques and SWIFT transfers. Payment order and remittances. Irrevocable documentary credit. Agreements and methods to avoid double taxation. Residence, permanent establishment and subsidiary-parent relationship. Treatment of direct foreign investment.
Emotional intelligence at work. Steering styles. Leadership. Personal interaction and communication. Motivation. Time and stress management. Presentations in public. Organization of an export department and help for the internationalization of the company. Co-operation between manufacturers and international outsourcing. Help for the internationalization of the company. Creation of export consortia and groups.
Participants must undertake a trade mission for a company. The mission consists of a set of actions, entrusted by the company, with current or potential suppliers, clients, agents, representatives or distributors.
Once you have passed the program, you will be awarded the degree of Diploma de Postgrado en Comercio Exterior, issued by the Pompeu Fabra University.
Associate Professor UPF-BSM
- Josep Maria Cervera
International Director of the Barcelona Chamber of Commerce.
MBA for IESE.
- Ivette Fuentes Molina
Head of Studies and Professor of Applied Economy with full dedication in the ESCSET (UPF).
Doctor in Law, Economy and Business for UdG. Master in Economic History for UB.
- Ethel Gordo
Founding partner of Proa Consultoria . Coaching SL.
Graduated in Psychology (UB), Diploma in Labor Relations (UPF) and PDD (IESE).
- Irene Guadiola
Lawyer, specialist in International Trade, Duaner Law and International Contraction in the office Guardiola Lawyers, in the Official College of Customs Officers and Customs Representatives of Barcelona and in the General Council of Spanish Customs Representatives in its international field. A member of the Spanish Committee of the Chamber of International Trade.
Master at International Business Law at the University of Nijmegen Holland, doctoral dissertation on "The Origin of Goods as a Differentiated Customs Tax Budget". Master of Financial and Tax Law in the ECF (Centre de Estudis Finut'res), Post-graduate degree in Foreign Trade by the Centre for International Economic Studies (CEDEIN).
- Leonardo Irigoyen
Professional international trade with several years of experience such as Export Area Manager in multinational environments and consulting for companies.
He was a graduate of the University of Congress (Mendoza, Argentina) and a Master of Business in International Business for IDEC (UPF).
- Tanguy Jacopin
Director General of Global Born Ltd.
Doctor in Applied Economy from the Sorbonne University in Paris.
- Amadeo Jensana
Director of the Business Circle and responsible for the economic area of Casa Asia.
Full Professor of Humanities Department at Pompeu Fabra University.
- Judith Mata
Executive Director of the Ricardo Fisas Natura Bissé Foundation.
Master of Communication Studies at the Ramon Llull University.
Associate Professor of the Department of Economics and Business at Pompeu Fabra University.
- Isabel Pardos
Director and International Speaker of Litexco Group.
PDG for IESE.
- Francisco Puig
Coordinates the "GestOR" Research Group (Organizational Geostrategy: Clusters and Competitiveness).
Associate Professor at the Faculty of Economics of the University of Valencia. Doctor (Extraordinary prize) by the University of Valencia. He is the author of several articles and books in the area of specialization in international strategy, Business Triangle and Clustering.
- Lucas Pussetto
Academic director of the Institute for Research and Economic Education (I+I) in Buenos Aires. He is Professor of International Economy and Macroeconomics in the MBA of the IAE of the Southern University and in the postgraduate of Public Policies of the BSM . Master in Economics of the Pompeu Fabra University.
- Joan Ros
He is the director of Binomio China Consulting.
MBA by Golden Gate University (US).
- Enrique Schonberg-Schwarz
Associate Professor of the Department of Economics and Business at Pompeu Fabra University.
A specialist consultant on strategy and internationalisation.
PPD by IESE Business School.
- Pere Serra
Founder and owner of Ganymede Consulting.
Bachelor of Science in Biology from the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Jordi Sellarés Serra
Director of the Spanish Committee of the Chamber of International Trade. Legal advisor to the Andorran delegation to the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
Associate Professor at the University of Barcelona (UB) and Esade. Doctor in Law for UB.
Master at International Relations at the University of Cambridge
- Antoni Valls
Consultant on Direct Development at HUMAN SUCCES.
He is Professor Mercantile (ADE) at the School of High Mercantile Studies at the University of Barcelona.
- Manuel Vericat Vericat
Telecommunications Engineer currently Solutions Specific Knowledge Leader Technology in Everis - an NTT Data Company
Technical consultant and technology-based entrepreneur consultant
Professor of the Master of International Business at the UPF BSM.
At UPF Barcelona School of Management we are committed to a flexible, dynamic and friendly online methodology that applies the best practices of on-campus experience to the virtual environment.
The UPF-BSM online experience is developed on the eCampus platform, which uses Moddle technology to combine different active methodologies: study of teaching materials, practical activities, discussion forums and self-assessment exercises for each of the subjects, streaming sessions with experts, and tutorials and individualized resolution of questions.
Our aim is to allow you to combine your higher studies with your lifestyle so that you make the most of the time you have for it. That is why you will have 24/7 access to the virtual environment so that you can organize your study time without schedules and at your own pace.
To facilitate day-to-day management and the achievement of your academic goals, the program is structured in didactic units, with which you will acquire instrumental, attitudinal and conceptual skills. You will have a progress bar available for each of them that will indicate the status of completion of the tasks and a recovery period in case you need more time to complete them.
Interactive teaching materials
Various materials and formats will make your experience more motivating: videos, case studies, content maps and downloadable resources. Designed and updated periodically by professionals and experts in the field, they put at your disposal the latest knowledge, skills, and tools to take your career to the next level.
Active and collaborative learning
Participation and discussion with your classmates and teachers are essential to the collaborative learning process. We will provide you with various tools such as the Discussion Forum, where you can propose new topics for debate, comment on and answer questions presented by the teacher or respond to interesting comments.
Streaming sessions with experts
Through videoconference sessions with the expert teacher or special guests, you will be able to ask questions, discuss your learning and connect in real time as if you were all in the same place. To ensure the flexibility of the training, we record the sessions so that you can refer to them if you have not been able to connect.
You will have the support of the expert tutor, who will guide you through each didactic unit; the help of the coordinator and the program manager in the delivery of activities, qualifications, management of procedures or access to services, and the guidance of the career advisor in the improvement of your personal brand and the search for professional opportunities.
The activities and evaluation dates of each of the subjects in the program will be detailed at its start.
The program's evaluation tests will be established and corrected under the quality criteria required in all UPF Barcelona School of Management programs, which guarantee their academic value and recognition.
The evaluation of the program will be carried out online on the basis of:
- Resolution of practical cases oriented to business reality
- Knowledge tests for each subject
- Proactive participation in forums and debates
- Realization and presentation of a final project
The learning process is characterized by its flexibility, since, in the virtual learning environment, the structure of the school calendar and the diversity of multimedia resources which are made available to the student allows them to acquire knowledge in a self-regulated manner.
The support of the teaching staff and interaction with classmates is carried out by making use of a wide variety of communication channels that facilitate proximity and didactic dialogue. The completion of activities and the Master's Final Project or Postgraduate Final Project is oriented towards professional practice for a high-impact professional transfer.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade is aimed at international business professionals with some professional experience in the business world who want to update their knowledge, as well as university graduates and higher graduates in any of the business areas.
At the end of the program, participants will have acquired and updated the essential knowledge and skills necessary to be able to face any challenge that their company presents them with and to lead their international departments.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade is made up of students from different continents who seek specialized and highly practical training to be applied directly to their companies.
Students are expected to have the DNA necessary for the program: international profiles each with their own vision of how to do business in the world and with backgrounds in areas of business administration, economics, law or engineering.
Average number of years of professional experience
The Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade enables you to develop a professional career in export departments of companies with international activity, as well as carry out tasks in export management, trading companies, customs and international logistics.
From the Careers Service, you can count on our Talent UP Professional Development Program, a training complement designed to increase the value and positioning of our students in the professional market.
This program provides you with tools and resources, through individual career counselling, training activities, company events, and career opportunities.
- International business department of a multinational company
- Company export and import department
- Public institutions and private consultancies in the field of business internationalization
- Creation of your own trade company
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
A university degree is needed to apply for the Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade.
Other candidates without the required university degree may take part in the selection process by virtue of their academic or professional merits and the place of work they occupy.
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through the following form.
Application for admission
Complete your application within the next admission rounds:
|Round||Application deadline||Admission resolution|
Applications for admission will be evaluated when you complete the following steps:
- Complete the online admission form.
- Pay the €120 admission fee. This amount will be returned if you are not admitted.
- Send the following documents through the online platform e-registrar:
- Presentation letter or video
- Scanned copy of university degree (if you are in the last year of your degree, you can provide your academic records)
- Scanned copy of Transcript of Records. Make sure that it includes your GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Scanned copy of ID Card or Passport
- Passport-size photo (jpg format)
Additional documents may be requested in certain cases.
Application rounds are subject to the number of places available on the program.
- The Admissions Committee will select the candidates on the basis of a personal or CV-based interview.
- You will be notified of the admission decision in writing.
- Registration must be paid within a 15 days after the admission.
- Once the letter of acceptance to the program has been received, you will need to submit the following original documents before the course begins:
- Stamped and/or authenticated photocopy of your university degree.
- If you have a foreign degree you may need to submit additional documents.
- Paying the reservation fee (25% of the program's tuition fees) is essential in order to reserve your place
- If you pay the tuition fees by bank transfer you will be required to introduce the program code. The program code for this course is 2319.
- The remaining tuition fees must be paid 2 weeks before the start of the course.
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Apply for one of our UPF-BSM Scholarships, awarded specifically to Pompeu Fabra University students with a good academic record.
If you are studying your last undergraduate course (4th year) at UPF or at a UPF Group centre and you have a good record, you can apply for a UPF-BSM scholarship. Remember that you must be a graduate and be in possession of your degree (or failing that, the certificate of receipt) when you start the program in which you have enrolled.
- Be in the last undergraduate year at UPF.
- Have a good academic record.
- Have been admitted or are in the process of admission to a Master or Postgraduate course for which you are applying for this Scholarship.
- Apply for the Scholarship at the time of application for admission.
- Submit a motivation letter with the reasons why you have opted for the Scholarship and a list of verifiable merits.
- Upload the required documentation through the eRegistrar platform
- The dates of awarding or denying of the Scholarship will be published on the website.
- The scholarship candidate will personally receive a communication with the procedures to follow in order to formalize it.
- The Scholarship Committee assesses academic talent (average grade of the report) and personal talent (the motivation of the candidate and their merits).
- The UPF-BSM Scholarships are not compatible with specific aid for the programs, scholarships granted by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, and other UPF-BSM scholarships.
- They are compatible with other scholarships from organizations outside the UPF-BSM and with discounts for large families.
They are applied for and granted in accordance with the dates stipulated below:
Academic year programs 2020–21 and 2021–22
- Scholarship application deadline: 03/12/2020, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 14/12/2020
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 01/11/2021
Remember that you must apply for the scholarship when you complete the application for admission to the program that interests you and always before classes start. The Scholarship cannot be processed for a program that is already being studied.
If you have any questions about how to apply for the UPF-BSM Scholarships, you can contact our scholarship secretariat via email.
Social Value Scholarships
UPF Barcelona School of Management, for this next academic year, and aiming at the commitment for social welfare, offers the Social Value Scholarships with the objective of supporting and favoring the groups that the School considers a priority. Enter and consult the details.
These scholarships are intended to favor specific groups, to help them in their professional and personal development or people who are in a situation of economic difficulty.
The Social Value Scholarship program covers from 25% to 70% of the total tuition fee for the master's degree and from 25% to 50% of the total tuition fee for the diploma or postgraduate course for all the programs offered by the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation.
The University Master's Degree in Law and any other master’s degree carried out in conjunction with an institution outside the UPF-BSM are excluded. Also excluded are programs for which the interested party wishes to carry out any recognition. Repeating students will also not be eligible for the scholarship.
- "Impulsa MUJER" (“Promote Woman”)
Aimed at all professional women, from any environment, who wish to study a management program in any area of the company, to occupy leadership positions or to lead a professional project.
Sporty woman: Specifically addressed at professional sportswomen interested in studying the master’s degree in Sports Management in any of its modalities.
- "Post COVID boost"
Aimed at people over 40 who are unemployed or in ERTE. ERTE is a term used in Spain to refer to the suspension for a specific time of the labor contract of part or all the workers of a company due to force majeure. This temporary suspension of the contract has been applied in Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic and remains in effect until the Government and the Employer decide.
- "Entrepreneur Scholarship for local economy"
Aimed at entrepreneurs and small businesses with a direct impact on the local economy and regions that need specific training to boost business.
- You must have applied for admission into one of the master's offered by the UPF Barcelona School of Management (except the Official Master's Program in Advocacy or those master's) and have been admitted to the program for which the grant is being requested.
- Present a letter of motivation with the reasons why you are applying for the scholarship with a list of merits or outstanding aspects that can be contrasted.
Consult the specific criteria for each of the modalities in the rules.
Submit your application for the Social Value Scholarship via the "Application form" of the program that you are interested in.
Submit the documentation via the "Scholarships and Funding" section of the eRegistar platform, to which you will be given access when applying
Please note that your application must meet all the requirements for both documentation and deadlines. Otherwise, it cannot be evaluated.
All documents except for the academic transcript must be in either Catalan, Spanish or English. The academic transcript can be presented in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian or Portuguese. If it is another language it must be accompanied by a sworn official translation into Catalan or Spanish.
Social Value Scholarship applications have to be made at the same time as completing your application for the program and always before classes begin. Social Value Scholarships cannot be processed for a master's program that has already begun.
Equally, applications presented after the deadlines of the established rounds will not be accepted, even if classes have not yet begun.
Social Value Scholarship are applied for and awarded according to the dates outlined below.:
Programmes for the academic year 2021-2022
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 01/11/2021
The Scholarship Committee will only award Social Value Scholarships to those applicants who, having completed the corresponding documentation and been finally admitted to the program for which they are applying, have passed the various tests that may be requested and meet the criteria established in each established typology in which they wish to enter.
The Scholarship Committee will inform each applicant of the decision individually by e-mail, following the dates published on the website.
Grants and discounts
If you are a member of our alumni associations or of one of our partner universities, we offer you a series of applicable discounts on the amount of tuition for your program.
- UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC Alumni: If you have previously studied at UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC a 15 credits (or more) program and you decide to take on a new program with us, you are entitled to a discount of 20% on your program tuition fees. It is required to be registered in the Alumni network of the UPF Barcelona School of Management upon your application. This discount is not applicable to short courses and postgraduate courses which are part of the same itinerary.
- UPF Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree, a master program or a doctoral program at Pompeu Fabra University, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits) beginning on or after 01/01/2019.
- ESCI-UPF and Tecnocampus Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree or a master at ESCI-UPF or Tecnocampus, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
UPF Employee Discounts
If you are a member or family member of an employee of the UPF group or belonged to the collaborating institutions of the UPF Barcelona School of Management, you can enjoy a series of applicable discounts on the tuition fees for your program.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) of Pompeu Fabra University. You are entitled to a 35% discount on tuition fees for open programs subject to prior communication from the rector's office and/or the UPF general manager's office.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) and Teaching and Research Staff (PDI) of the UPF Group. Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- Relatives (up to second degree) of UPF and the UPF's Institute of Continuing Education's Foundation teaching and research staff (PAS and PDI, in Spanish). Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- If you work at a company member of the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation's Board of Trustees or at any of our councils' companies. Discount of 20% on the tuition fees of our master's and postgraduate courses.
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management collaborates with various banks and financial entities which provide study loans on favorable terms. For more information you can contact any of the following links (in Spanish).
Note, however, that in order to benefit from these special conditions you must have a NIE if you are not a European Citizen. Therefore, UPF Barcelona School of Management strongly recommends international students to seek first for students loans at bank entities of their country of origin, or to search for funding opportunities through international entities.
Online Postgraduate Course in Foreign Trade