Online Postgraduate Course in Innovation and Design Thinking
Online Postgraduate Course in Innovation and Design Thinking
The only postgraduate course in innovation and entrepreneurship that combines the 4 main methodologies in innovation: Design Thinking, Service Design, Lean Startup and Agile Methodologies.
The Postgraduate in Innovation and Design Thinking is an instrumental program with which you will apply the methodological tools necessary for the management of disruptive or incremental innovation. The study plan will allow you to develop a strategic response to the emergence of new paradigms and the impact of new technologies on business models and ways of managing organizations. Upon completion, you will be able to apply the necessary innovation techniques for the creation and optimization of experiences, products, and services.
Today, companies require more innovation and entrepreneurship, more flexibility, more speed, and more responsiveness for their customers/users. Adapting to new challenges passes through the application of new methodologies both in large, and small, and for-profit and non-profit organizations. This is why the postgraduate course covers not only Design Thinking, but various innovation systems.
With the Postgraduate in Innovation and Design Thinking you will acquire an in depth and current vision under the guidance of renowned experts in this field, and you will learn to apply business models and new technological and methodological tools that organizations use in their daily management. You will prepare yourself to create an innovative culture, and to lead and implement change in all types of organizations. The main objective of the program is for you to become an agent of value creation for the entire organization and to know how to detect new business opportunities.
The program is structured in 2 large credit modules: the strategic module and the instrumental module.
The first module of the study plan, called “Innovation and strategic analysis”, is taught in person and forms the basis of the course. It will orientate you on the current innovation map at an international level, focusing on providing knowledge about the trends, possibilities, and realities that the field of innovation presents today. Concepts such as: innovation in different sectors, new business models and technologies, disruptive innovation, innovation ecosystems, and digital transformation in companies, among others, are addressed there.
The second module of the course, called "Tools for innovation", will be the practical part. In this module you will learn and apply, during more than 40 hours of practical group workshops, various decision-making systems and innovation tools such as Design Thinking, Service Design (user experience), Lean Startup, and Agile Methodologies. This module is taught in a blended mode, that is, it intersperses face-to-face and online sessions.
Why choose this program
Learn about current tools
You will be trained to know how to manage, from start to finish, an innovation project. The program is structured in practical and instrumental workshops to equip you with the tools that you can apply in the real world immediately.
It combines online training, with the monitoring of classes by videoconference so that you can talk about your doubts with the expert teacher and collaborate in real time with your colleagues. Flexibility always takes precedence in our training, and that is why we record the sessions so that you can consult them later if you have not been able to connect.
Learn about the main methodologies in a single program
This program brings together the main innovation methodologies in a single program so that you can have a range of tools to select the most appropriate when you face a challenge in terms of innovation.
Obtain a prestigious international qualification
You will obtain a qualification backed by the recognition and academic quality of the Pompeu Fabra University, the number 1 university in Spain. The diploma does not mention the study methodology (online).
Learn from industry experts
We will connect you with teachers of the highest academic level and recognized experience in Innovation who will instruct you in a real and tangible way in the best practices in innovation.
Who is it for?
Program aimed at managers of functional areas, intermediate positions, entrepreneurs, consultants, people responsible for innovation and development in any sector or activity, who want to know and acquire the tools and knowledge concerning innovation in the business world. All this by applying creative and effective techniques that allow us to understand the threats and opportunities generated by the power of current technologies and the possibilities of new products, services, and business models.
The postgraduate course is divided into 2 modules.
- The first module "Innovation and strategic analysis" is made up of videoconference classes with expert teachers in various areas of innovation.
- The second module "Tools for innovation" is very practical and combines individual online work and practical classes by videoconference.
Innovation and strategic analysis
You will learn to carry out an innovation project, from the identification of challenges derived from the business model, to the identification and management of opportunities, ending with a systematic way of designing proposals that can be prototyped.
You will learn about the management of innovation as part of the management of a company. We will delve into why the success of innovation is linked, to a large extent, on how it relates to the rest of the company. You will learn how being an ambidextrous company contributes, and how innovation management translates, into managing risk and agility to create new value for customers.
We will analyse the market factors that directly condition innovation processes, from demand to legislation itself. You will learn specific examples in each area and analysis processes for each of them.
You will identify the changes caused by digitization in society and how this affects companies.
You will learn the characteristics of a successful entrepreneurial ecosystem. We will specifically analyse the success factors of the case of Barcelona.
(Blockchain, machine learning, augmented reality, among others): You will learn to use technologies that will help you increase the speed of processes in your company, reducing recurring jobs without added value and minimizing the risk of errors. You will see management tools that improve the conversion to sales of visitors to your company's website.
Tools for innovation
We will facilitate the vision and techniques of this innovation methodology, with the aim of learning to design new products, services, and even new businesses that adapt to the new needs of consumers.
Through the analysis and mapping of the customer experience, we will devise and prototype new solutions—whether physical or online—that enrich their experience, always taking into account the business vision.
You will learn about this user-centred methodology based on experimentation to launch your innovative business idea on the market. You will learn to see if it really is a business opportunity and to validate it through different tools and experiments such as: prototypes, interviews, customer development, Business Model Canvas, market potential, and minimum viable products (MVP).
We will learn the values and principles that govern the so-called agile methodologies such as SCRUM or QRM for the development of projects and the organization of processes.
Once you have passed the program, you will be awarded the degree of Curso de Postgrado en Innovación y Design Thinking, issued by Pompeu Fabra University.
Head of the Strategy and Entrepreneurship Area
Senior Lecturer BSM
Teaching Assistant BSM
Adjunct professor BSM
- Fátima Vidal Ayuso
Teaching Assistant of Strategy at UPF Barcelona School of Management. Master in Financial and Accounting Management from UPF-BSM. Bachelor of Business Administration from the University of Dresden and Degree in Marketing and Market Studies from the UOC.
- Alfons Cornella
The Institute of Next and Infonomia Founder. Innovation consultant.
- Xavier Marcet
President at LTC Lead to Change (LTC Project), strategic innovation consultancy firm. Bachelor in History from the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Christian Rodriguez Fornos
Serial entrepreneur. Founder of BYHOURS, Urban Secretsm Netip Consulting, Chocolate Studio, among others. Board Member at Barcelona Tech City and Hawkers Group. Professor and university mentor on innovation and digital ecosystems.
- Bet Matoses
Expert in Service Design and Design Thinking, specialized in the design of brand, product, and service strategies with a completely digital approach. Bachelor's Degree in Political Sciences and Administration from Pompeu Fabra University and Degree in Industrial Design from IED.
- Miquel Angel Oliva Sans
Expert in innovation, business strategy, and organization. Founder and General Director of the FUNDACIÓ PRIVADA PER A la CREATIVACIÓ® (www.fundaciocreativacio.org).
- Marina Vall
Usability, accessibility, and user experience (UX) specialist. UX Designer at Adevinta. Has been UX Lead at Accenture Interactive, UX Manager at RocaSalvatella, and Senior UX Designer at FC Barcelona.
- Susana Ezquerro
Project Management and Entrepreneurial Communities at Peninsula Corporate innovation. Degree in Information Sciences UAB. Executive Master in Innovation in EOI. Master in Social Innovation at LH. Specializations in Design Thinking, Corporate Creativity, and Innovation.
At the UPF Barcelona School of Management we are committed to a flexible and dynamic online model, which aims to place the participant at the centre of the process so that they are the owner of their learning process.
To facilitate day-to-day management and the achievement of your academic goals, the program is structured into subjects, with which you will acquire knowledge, and instrumental and aptitude skills.
All this, while having 24/7 access to the virtual environment so that you can organize your study without schedules and at your own pace. In this way, you can combine it with your work and personal life, making the most of the time you have for it.
Desarrollarás un proyecto de innovación en todas sus fases, definición, ideación, prototipado y testeo, aplicando cada una de las metodologías de innovación para obtener un producto final específico y tangible.
Didactic and interactive teaching materials
Various materials and formats will make your experience more motivating: videos, case studies, tests, content maps, and downloadable resources. These materials are designed and updated periodically by professionals and experts in the field, so that they put at your disposal the latest knowledge to take your career to the next level.
Active and collaborative learning
Participation and discussion with your classmates and teachers are essential and enriching for the collaborative learning process. We will provide you with different tools and ways to connect, such as videoconference classes, discussion forums, and coffee-forums to encourage the exchange of ideas and networking.
To make your experience more tangible and immediate, you will have the support of fundamental people such as the teacher or expert tutor, who will guide you in consulting the subjects in the program and the program manager who will support you in the monitoring and general operation of the course.
A wide range of assessment methods will be used to evaluate the learning and acquisition of skills, such as:
- Participation in the activities proposed within the virtual classroom.
- Individual work and knowledge tests.
- Team work.
The learning process is characterized by its flexibility, since, in the virtual learning environment, the structure of the school calendar and the diversity of multimedia resources which are made available to the student allows them to acquire knowledge in a self-regulated manner.
The support of the teaching staff and interaction with classmates is carried out by making use of a wide variety of communication channels that facilitate proximity and didactic dialogue.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Innovation and Design Thinking will give you the practical knowledge necessary to implement an innovation project in any sector or company. At the end of the program you will have a range of methodologies and tools for the optimization of new processes, products, and services and also for the development of new business models and new user experiences. In addition, you will learn the key points of agile project management and the mechanisms to ensure their success through the Lean Startup.
The Postgraduate Course in Innovation and Design Thinking brings together professionals from various academic and professional profiles, whose interest is disruptive or incremental innovation. You can share experiences with professionals with more than 10 years of experience in consulting, marketing, business, change management, and entrepreneurship, among others.
Average number of years of professional experience
Training in Business and Business Administration
Training in Marketing, Communication, and Social Sciences
You will be able to count on the Talent UP professional management and development program from the Professional Careers service, a training complement designed to increase the value and positioning of our students in the professional market. This program provides you with tools, knowledge, and resources, through individual career advice, training activities, company events, and career opportunities.
- Innovation Consultant
- Innovation Manager
- Service Design Consultant
- Design Thinking Consultant
- Research, Development, and Technological Innovation Agencies
- User Experience Consultant
- Entrepreneurship consultant
- Digital Transformation Consultant
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
You need to be a university graduate.
Other candidates and students without the required university degree may take part in the selection process of the school by virtue of their academic or professional merits, and the place of work they occupy. Upon passing the program, they will receive a certificate of completion issued by the UPF Barcelona School of Management.
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through the following form.
Application for admission
Complete your application within the next admission rounds:
|Round||Application deadline||Admission resolution|
Applications for admission will be evaluated when you complete the following steps:
- Complete the online admission form.
- Pay the €120 admission fee. This amount will be returned if you are not admitted.
- Send the following documents through the online platform e-registrar:
- Presentation letter or video
- Scanned copy of university degree (if you are in the last year of your degree, you can provide your academic records)
- Scanned copy of Transcript of Records. Make sure that it includes your GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Scanned copy of ID Card or Passport
- Passport-size photo (jpg format)
Additional documents may be requested in certain cases.
Application rounds are subject to the number of places available on the program.
- The Admissions Committee will select the candidates on the basis of a personal or CV-based interview.
- You will be notified of the admission decision in writing.
- Registration must be paid within a 15 days after the admission.
- Once the letter of acceptance to the program has been received, you will need to submit the following original documents before the course begins:
- Stamped and/or authenticated photocopy of your university degree.
- If you have a foreign degree you may need to submit additional documents.
- Paying the reservation fee (25% of the program's tuition fees) is essential in order to reserve your place
- If you pay the tuition fees by bank transfer you will be required to introduce the program code. The program code for this course is 3342.
- The remaining tuition fees must be paid 2 weeks before the start of the course.
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Social Value Scholarships
UPF Barcelona School of Management, for this next academic year, and aiming at the commitment for social welfare, offers the Social Value Scholarships with the objective of supporting and favoring the groups that the School considers a priority. Enter and consult the details.
These scholarships are intended to favor specific groups, to help them in their professional and personal development or people who are in a situation of economic difficulty.
The Social Value Scholarship program covers from 25% to 70% of the total tuition fee for the master's degree and from 25% to 50% of the total tuition fee for the diploma or postgraduate course for all the programs offered by the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation.
The University Master's Degree in Law and any other master’s degree carried out in conjunction with an institution outside the UPF-BSM are excluded. Also excluded are programs for which the interested party wishes to carry out any recognition. Repeating students will also not be eligible for the scholarship.
- "Impulsa MUJER" (“Promote Woman”)
Aimed at all professional women, from any environment, who wish to study a management program in any area of the company, to occupy leadership positions or to lead a professional project.
Sporty woman: Specifically addressed at professional sportswomen interested in studying the master’s degree in Sports Management in any of its modalities.
- "Post COVID boost"
Aimed at people over 40 who are unemployed or in ERTE. ERTE is a term used in Spain to refer to the suspension for a specific time of the labor contract of part or all the workers of a company due to force majeure. This temporary suspension of the contract has been applied in Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic and remains in effect until the Government and the Employer decide.
- "Entrepreneur Scholarship for local economy"
Aimed at entrepreneurs and small businesses with a direct impact on the local economy and regions that need specific training to boost business.
- You must have applied for admission into one of the master's offered by the UPF Barcelona School of Management (except the Official Master's Program in Advocacy or those master's) and have been admitted to the program for which the grant is being requested.
- Present a letter of motivation with the reasons why you are applying for the scholarship with a list of merits or outstanding aspects that can be contrasted.
Consult the specific criteria for each of the modalities in the rules.
Submit your application for the Social Value Scholarship via the "Application form" of the program that you are interested in.
Submit the documentation via the "Scholarships and Funding" section of the eRegistar platform, to which you will be given access when applying
Please note that your application must meet all the requirements for both documentation and deadlines. Otherwise, it cannot be evaluated.
All documents except for the academic transcript must be in either Catalan, Spanish or English. The academic transcript can be presented in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian or Portuguese. If it is another language it must be accompanied by a sworn official translation into Catalan or Spanish.
Social Value Scholarship applications have to be made at the same time as completing your application for the program and always before classes begin. Social Value Scholarships cannot be processed for a master's program that has already begun.
Equally, applications presented after the deadlines of the established rounds will not be accepted, even if classes have not yet begun.
Social Value Scholarship are applied for and awarded according to the dates outlined below.:
Programmes for the academic year 2021-2022
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: during the week of 01/11/2021
The Scholarship Committee will only award Social Value Scholarships to those applicants who, having completed the corresponding documentation and been finally admitted to the program for which they are applying, have passed the various tests that may be requested and meet the criteria established in each established typology in which they wish to enter.
The Scholarship Committee will inform each applicant of the decision individually by e-mail, following the dates published on the website.
Apply for one of our UPF-BSM Scholarships, awarded specifically to Pompeu Fabra University students with a good academic record.
If you are studying your last undergraduate course (4th year) at UPF or at a UPF Group centre and you have a good record, you can apply for a UPF-BSM scholarship. Remember that you must be a graduate and be in possession of your degree (or failing that, the certificate of receipt) when you start the program in which you have enrolled.
- Be in the last undergraduate year at UPF.
- Have a good academic record.
- Have been admitted or are in the process of admission to a Master or Postgraduate course for which you are applying for this Scholarship.
- Apply for the Scholarship at the time of application for admission.
- Submit a motivation letter with the reasons why you have opted for the Scholarship and a list of verifiable merits.
- Upload the required documentation through the eRegistrar platform
- The dates of awarding or denying of the Scholarship will be published on the website.
- The scholarship candidate will personally receive a communication with the procedures to follow in order to formalize it.
The Scholarship Committee assesses academic talent (average grade of the report) and personal talent (the motivation of the candidate and their merits).
The UPF-BSM Scholarships are not compatible with specific aid for the programs, scholarships granted by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, and other UPF-BSM scholarships.
They are compatible with other scholarships from organizations outside the UPF-BSM and with discounts for large families.
They are applied for and granted in accordance with the dates stipulated below:
Academic year programs 2020–21 and 2021–22
- Scholarship application deadline: 03/12/2020, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 14/12/2020
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 01/11/2021
Remember that you must apply for the scholarship when you complete the application for admission to the program that interests you and always before classes start. The Scholarship cannot be processed for a program that is already being studied.
If you have any questions about how to apply for the UPF-BSM Scholarships, you can contact our scholarship secretariat via email.
Grants and discounts
If you are a member of our alumni associations or of one of our partner universities, we offer you a series of applicable discounts on the amount of tuition for your program.
- UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC Alumni: If you have previously studied at UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC a 15 credits (or more) program and you decide to take on a new program with us, you are entitled to a discount of 20% on your program tuition fees. It is required to be registered in the Alumni network of the UPF Barcelona School of Management upon your application. This discount is not applicable to short courses and postgraduate courses which are part of the same itinerary.
- UPF Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree, a master program or a doctoral program at Pompeu Fabra University, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits) beginning on or after 01/01/2019.
- ESCI-UPF and Tecnocampus Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree or a master at ESCI-UPF or Tecnocampus, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
*Discount not compatible with other scholarships, discounts and reductions.
UPF Employee Discounts
If you are a member or family member of an employee of the UPF group or belonged to the collaborating institutions of the UPF Barcelona School of Management, you can enjoy a series of applicable discounts on the tuition fees for your program.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) of Pompeu Fabra University. You are entitled to a 35% discount on tuition fees for open programs subject to prior communication from the rector's office and/or the UPF general manager's office.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) and Teaching and Research Staff (PDI) of the UPF Group. Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- Relatives (up to second degree) of UPF and the UPF's Institute of Continuing Education's Foundation teaching and research staff (PAS and PDI, in Spanish). Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- If you work at a company member of the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation's Board of Trustees or at any of our councils' companies. Discount of 20% on the tuition fees of our master's and postgraduate courses. Click here to see the companies on the Board of Trustees.
*Discount not compatible with other scholarships, discounts and reductions.
UPF Partner Latinoamerican Universities Discount
If you are alumni of one of our Partner Universities, you are entitled to a discount of 10% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduate program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
*Discount not compatible with other scholarships, discounts and reductions.
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management collaborates with various banks and financial entities which provide study loans on favorable terms. For more information you can contact any of the following links (in Spanish).
Note, however, that in order to benefit from these special conditions you must have a NIE if you are not a European Citizen. Therefore, UPF Barcelona School of Management strongly recommends international students to seek first for students loans at bank entities of their country of origin, or to search for funding opportunities through international entities.
Online Postgraduate Course in Innovation and Design Thinking