Online Postgraduate Course in Executive Development
Online Postgraduate Course in Executive Development
Become a manager capable of adequately managing the changes and challenges faced in our current economic and social context, able to provide innovative business and organizational solutions with a strategic vision.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Executive Development responds to the need to train directors and middle managers in interdisciplinary skills, which enable them to more effectively manage an organization or specific business area, both for those working in a company and the self-employed.
The program places special emphasis on the development of management skills, while covering key technical content, in order to develop solid strategic company management.
You will work on essential aspects in executive development such as negotiation, leadership (also of remote teams), public speaking, action plans, strategic vision, strategic models and analysis, digital transformation, management of marketing, operations and human resources, management control, the economic environment, finance, creativity and design thinking, innovation and new paradigms.
Why choose this program
Elite teaching staff
The program is taught by leading company executives and by internationally renowned lecturers from the Department of Economics and Business at Pompeu Fabra University
Practical application of the content
The methodology is designed to be applied in practice to complement the theoretical knowledge with a perspective that is fully grounded and connected to the professional day to day.
You will be given personalized support in the development of a professional improvement plan specifically designed for you.
Grow your network of professional contacts with high level executives and experts in executive development.
Who is it for?
The Online Postgraduate Course in Executive Development is aimed at professionals in managerial roles. The program is also designed for businesspeople and entrepreneurs looking to strengthen their business project.
In addition the course is suitable for companies looking to develop the talent and skills of their directors and management teams.
This Online Postgraduate Course in Executive Development is structured across 4 modules, which offer a total of 16 subjects.
Throughout the program you will advance through each subject, in order to obtain the necessary knowledge and skills to develop professionally as a successful director.
All the subjects adopt a theoretical-practical approach, to facilitate learning, make it fun and encourage participant interaction, student-to-student and student-to-lecturer.
- Functions of form and content
- Decision-making at a managerial level
- Operational decisions / Strategic decisions
- Managerial communication
- Strategy and management
- Managerial mission, vision and values
- Discipline as a factor for cohesion
- Managerial responsibility
- Difference between selling and negotiating
- The sales process
- The negotiation process
- Keys to persuasive language
- Introduction. Understand the world in which we live, how our role and that of our organization fit together and how we got to where we are today. Evolution of leadership throughout the last century; what things can be applied and what should be discarded in the complex world in which we live. Relating this to a leadership role and its importance in being a facilitator of teams. Examples of leadership and management will be applied to various situations and challenges.
- Self-knowledge and knowledge of the other. My role, my responsibility. We journey from the personal "I" to the managerial "I". The starting point for any approach to the phenomenon of leadership must be ourselves. Self-knowledge: basic self-diagnosis. Who I am? What kind of person am I? The implications of character and personality. Me and the other. Me and my role. What am I being paid to do?
- Leading employees. Leadership styles. Self-diagnosis of our leadership style (I). Strengths and areas for improvement. Techniques to get to know our employees and act accordingly. Situational leadership, applications and limitations.
- Rethinking: timings, team contact and hindsight
- Agility as a tool: to improve interaction, to better organize ourselves and to improve efficiency.
- Coaching tools to be closer to your teams
- Simple digital tools
- Get to know your team
- A new way of relating
- Learn to properly start and end a meeting.
- Learn to use ZOOM in a different way
- Session 1: Effective communication is properly preparing WHAT I am going to say. Content
- The target audience and the goal of adopting the right communication style
- Empathy in communication to establish an emotional bond
- Structuring information to clearly explain ideas.
- Oral language rules to facilitate a comprehensible message
- The rhetorical resources to make information memorable
- Session 2: Effective communication is mastering HOW I'm going say it. Form
- Stage fright, understanding it to reduce anxiety
- Body language to show confidence
- Face and hand gestures to illustrate ideas and reinforce understanding
- Using the voice to express oneself in a dynamic and credible way
- Technical recommendations for remote communication
- The Action Plan Structure and Foundations
- Development and implementation process
- The course’s Action Plan and individual mentoring program
- Objectives of the Action Plan
- Practical Implementation
- Global strategic vision. Needs and focus.
- Starting point: objective and realistic analysis of the situation.
- Value adding strategy.
- Strategy in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strategy and objective (ambition, ability, risk).
- Strategy and people: teams, commitment, motivation, attitude.
- The concept of strategy in the field of business organization
- Strategic matrices and models
- Strategy, policy and tactics
- Coordination between the strategy, mission and vision of the organization
- The Strategic Plan; structure and foundations
- Organizational culture: critical factors for the competitiveness of organizations, new organizational models and new digital skills.
- Vision, management and business in digital transformation
- The 6 Phases of digital transformation
- Management of change
- Leadership skills in digital transformation
- Perspective as an essential starting point in digital transformation
- Digital state-of-the-art
- The scope of an organization’s digital transformation
- Analyse the evolution of marketing through distinct economic phases. Define the current situation.
- The Marketing Map. Understanding the strategic pattern.
- Provide a integrating vision of marketing decisions. Investigate. Decide. Execute. Review. Execute.
- Define the most relevant techniques for the successful management of a product or service.
- Discuss new trends in marketing strategies.
- Innovative vision and value generation
- What is Operations Management within the company and what are its objectives?
- The skills and competencies of the operations manager
- Focusing on processes in the modern organization
- Internal communication
- Analysis of the department’s critical processes
- Planning and control
- Strategy and tactics
Understanding the current economic situation: the key variables of the world economic environment, the problem of the three “Ds” and Spain’s position within this context.
- Introduction to financial statement analysis
- The Importance of financial economic control
- Types of economic / financial decisions
- Financial statements
- Balance sheet analysis: assets
- Analysing an income statement
- Cash flow statements and statements of changes in net equity
- Comprehensive analysis
- Liquidity, debt and profitability
Change and talent management
- Understanding the functions of HR in an organization.
- Analyse the tools that HR makes available to me as a team leader.
- Analyse the tools that HR makes available to me as part of the team.
- Learn the keys behind making HR a strategic partner in the company.
- Analyse Kotter’s 8 steps for change management in organizations.
- Innovation: what does it mean to innovate? Why innovate? Who should do it?
- How do you innovate?: Method + creativity + attitude.
- Applied Design Thinking (one of the methods).
- We present the VISION BOX of our innovations.
- Introduction to Design Thinking
- Empathy and defining challenges
- Ideation and prototyping
- Business Design
- Communication of ideas
The objective of this session is to summarize the most important management topics, and to justify the need for a new management paradigm in line with the complexity of today’s world. Basic concepts such as strategy, innovation, flexibility, relationship, capabilities and opportunities, agility, change management, leadership and corporate culture will be reviewed
Once you have passed the program, you will be awarded the degree of Curso de Postgrado en Desarrollo Directivo, issued by the Pompeu Fabra University.
Business strategy and management development consultant
Senior Lecturer BSM
Full professor of Financial Economics and Accounting at UPF and UPF-BSM.
Senior Lecturer BSM
Adjunct professor BSM
Senior Lecturer BSM
•Maria Batet Rovirosa
Expert in creativity and entrepreneurship
Diploma in Teaching from the University of Barcelona and Master in Economic Promotion from the University of Barcelona
• Jaume Batlle Ferrer
Business Strategy and Management Development Consultant
Director of the Pasión Management Project. Strategy and management development consultant
Opinion writer in the press and in the area of Management and Economics in specialized magazines such as Capital Humano, Andalucía Económica, and Equipos & Talento
• Albert Bosch Riera
Founder of INVERGROUP
Graduate in Business Sciences and MBA from ESADE.
• Joan Elías
Director of Communication at ENASA and Director of Communication at Hospital de Bellvitge and the Catalan Health Institute.
Degree in Journalism. Master in Marketing from EADA. PPD IESE. DEA in Communication and Humanities
Innovation Director of Suez in Spain
Speaker on the Postgraduate Course in Business Management, UPF Barcelona School of Management
• Mike Mosh
Digital Marketing Consultant, trainer and speaker, specialized in export and e-commerce solutions.
Member of the German Institute for Cooperation and Innovation.
• Joan Plans Esperabé
Founder and Partner of the training and selection consultancy Directa, CDO, S.L.
Collaborator with teaching of managerial skills and transversal skills at the UPF Barcelona School of Management.
• Josep Maria Raya
Doctorate in Economics from the University of Barcelona.
• Emma Rodero
Director of the CCLab (communication laboratory) of the UPF Barcelona School of Management
Doctor in Communication. Doctor in Psychology. Graduate in Journalism.
At the UPF Barcelona School of Management we are committed to a flexible and dynamic online model, which aims to place the participant at the centre of the process so that they are the owner of their learning process.
To facilitate day-to-day management and the achievement of your academic goals, the program is structured into subjects, with which you will acquire knowledge, and instrumental and aptitude skills.
All this, while having 24/7 access to the virtual environment so that you can organize your study without schedules and at your own pace. In this way, you can combine it with your work and personal life, making the most of the time you have for it.
Didactic and interactive teaching materials
Various materials and formats will make your experience more motivating and challenging: videos, case studies, content maps, and downloadable resources. Designed and updated periodically by professionals and experts in the field, they put at your disposal the latest knowledge, skills, and tools to take your career to the next level.
Active and collaborative learning
Participation and discussion with your colleagues and teachers are essential and enriching for the collaborative learning process. We will provide you with various tools such as the Discussion Forum, where you can propose new topics for debate, comment on and answer questions presented by the teacher or give feedback to interesting comments.
Streaming sessions with experts
We offer videoconference sessions with the expert teacher or special guests, so that you can ask questions, discuss your learning and connect in real time as if you were all in the same place. Flexibility always takes precedence with our courses, which is why we record the sessions so that you can consult them later if you have not been able to connect.
To make your experience more tangible and immediate, you will have the support of fundamental people such as the teacher or expert tutor, who will guide you through the subjects of the program. The program manager will help you in the monitoring and general operation of the program, as well as in the management of procedures or access to other services of the university. And the professional career advisor will guide you in improving your personal brand and in the search for professional opportunities.
Program evaluation will be performed online based on:
- Proactive participation in forums and discussions
- Resolution of practical cases oriented towards business reality
- Knowledge tests for each subject
- Realization and presentation of a final project
The learning process is characterized by its flexibility, since, in the virtual learning environment, the structure of the school calendar and the diversity of multimedia resources which are made available to the student allows them to acquire knowledge in a self-regulated manner.
The support of the teaching staff and interaction with classmates is carried out by making use of a wide variety of communication channels that facilitate proximity and didactic dialogue.
The Online Postgraduate Course in Executive Development is part of the Executive Education program, which combines fundamental content for any professional currently employed in or seeking a managerial role, with a practical methodology aimed at putting the acquired knowledge into practice.
The Executive Education Course participant ecosystem is made up of with a relevant career history.
The diversity of profiles and sectors represented in Executive training at UPF-BSM contributes added value to the learning experience. It consists of CEOs, managers, executives, entrepreneurs, consultants and heads of teams, areas and departments.
Average years of professional experience
This program provides you with the necessary knowledge to exercise executive and Director/Management functions.
- CEO, Board of Directors or General Management of companies and organizations of any kind.
- Team or Department manager.
- Strategic consultant.
- Management positions in any of the functional areas of a company: marketing, finance, human resources, production, etc.
- Entrepreneur with your own project, thanks to the broad business vision provided to ensure its success.
- Intrapreneur: entrepreneur of projects within your organization.
Admission and enrolment
Who can apply?
University graduates with official or non-official university degrees.
Likewise, other candidates may apply to the selection process without the required university degree by virtue of their academic, professional merits or their professional role.
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through the following form.
Application for admission
Complete your application within the next admission rounds:
|Round||Application deadline||Admission resolution|
Applications for admission will be evaluated when you complete the following steps:
- Complete the online admission form.
- Pay the €120 admission fee. This amount will be returned if you are not admitted.
- Send the following documents through the online platform e-registrar:
- Presentation letter or video
- Scanned copy of university degree (if you are in the last year of your degree, you can provide your academic records)
- Scanned copy of Transcript of Records. Make sure that it includes your GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Scanned copy of ID Card or Passport
- Passport-size photo (jpg format)
Additional documents may be requested in certain cases.
Application rounds are subject to the number of places available on the program.
- The Admissions Committee will select the candidates on the basis of a personal or CV-based interview.
- You will be notified of the admission decision in writing.
- Registration must be paid within a 15 days after the admission.
- Once the letter of acceptance to the program has been received, you will need to submit the following original documents before the course begins:
- Stamped and/or authenticated photocopy of your university degree.
- If you have a foreign degree you may need to submit additional documents.
- Paying the reservation fee (25% of the program's tuition fees) is essential in order to reserve your place
- If you pay the tuition fees by bank transfer you will be required to introduce the program code. The program code for this course is 3350.
- The remaining tuition fees must be paid 2 weeks before the start of the course.
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Apply for one of our UPF-BSM Scholarships, awarded specifically to Pompeu Fabra University students with a good academic record.
If you are studying your last undergraduate course (4th year) at UPF or at a UPF Group centre and you have a good record, you can apply for a UPF-BSM scholarship. Remember that you must be a graduate and be in possession of your degree (or failing that, the certificate of receipt) when you start the program in which you have enrolled.
- Be in the last undergraduate year at UPF.
- Have a good academic record.
- Have been admitted or are in the process of admission to a Master or Postgraduate course for which you are applying for this Scholarship.
- Apply for the Scholarship at the time of application for admission.
- Submit a motivation letter with the reasons why you have opted for the Scholarship and a list of verifiable merits.
- Upload the required documentation through the eRegistrar platform
- The dates of awarding or denying of the Scholarship will be published on the website.
- The scholarship candidate will personally receive a communication with the procedures to follow in order to formalize it.
The Scholarship Committee assesses academic talent (average grade of the report) and personal talent (the motivation of the candidate and their merits).
The UPF-BSM Scholarships are not compatible with specific aid for the programs, scholarships granted by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, and other UPF-BSM scholarships.
They are compatible with other scholarships from organizations outside the UPF-BSM and with discounts for large families.
They are applied for and granted in accordance with the dates stipulated below:
Academic year programs 2020–21 and 2021–22
- Scholarship application deadline: 03/12/2020, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 14/12/2020
- Scholarship application deadline: 12/01/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 25/01/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 23/02/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 08/03/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/04/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 19/04/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 13/05/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 24/05/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 08/06/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 21/06/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 06/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 20/07/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 27/07/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 02/09/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 13/09/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 05/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 18/10/2021
- Scholarship application deadline: 21/10/2021, Awarding of the scholarship: week of 01/11/2021
Remember that you must apply for the scholarship when you complete the application for admission to the program that interests you and always before classes start. The Scholarship cannot be processed for a program that is already being studied.
If you have any questions about how to apply for the UPF-BSM Scholarships, you can contact our scholarship secretariat via email.
Grants and discounts
External financial aid
A large number of external entities and institutions offer financial aid options to students who want to enrol on one of our master programs and postgraduate courses.
A large number of external entities and institutions offer financial aid options to students who want to enrol on one of our master programs and postgraduate courses. If you want to apply for any of these financial aid options you will have to deal directly with the awarding entity. These options are compatible with any other program-specific aid option of your master program or postgraduate course but not with the Talent or the Partner Universities Scholarships.
Spanish Public Financial Aid for Official Master's Degrees
- General scholarships of Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport: The call is aimed at offering tuition aids and different concepts
- Basque Country Scholarships: The Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport allocates part of the Basque Country's budget to educational scholarships. These scholarships are aimed at Basque students who wish
Provided that you fulfil the requirements set out in the Price Regulation by the Generalitat de Catalunya, you can benefit from the following exemptions:
- Exemption for large families
- Exemption for disability
- Exemption for victims of terrorist attacks
- Exemption for victims of gender-based violence
When you apply for a public exemption, please remember that UPF Barcelona School of Management-Pompeu Fabra University is a centre that belongs to UPF. Given that it is a private centre, the enrolment scholarship is calculated in the following way: credit price (€31.42) x number of credits on the master x 50% or 100% (depending on your situation) x 33% (arts. 9 and ss. related to article 2.3 of the Price Regulation by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Catalan government)). Please also remember that if you request an exemption in addition to the Spanish State Scholarship, and both are conceded, you will need to forego one of these because it is not possible to receive both. To forego one of these, you should contact our Administration Department at email@example.com.
External Financial Aid
- MAEC-AECID Scholarships: Scholarships for Spanish and foreign citizens who wish to study in Spain (and abroad).
- Fulbright Scholarships: The Fulbright Program is a competitive program of grants for students, which is aimed at encouraging the exchange of American graduate students with those of other countries involved in the program for the purposes of research, study or teaching.
- UNESCO Scholarships: Short stays in other countries to allow postgraduate students to specialize.
- "la Caixa" Social Foundation: Grants for official master degree studies in Spain.
- Portal Ploteus: EU grants for non-EU citizens to study in Europe.
- Portal Universia: Spanish and Latin American portal for information on grants.
- Santander Scholarships: Over 30.000 scholarships, study grants and internships for students coming from Germany, Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, the United States, Spain, Mexico, Portugal, the UK and Uruguay.
- Erasmus+ Master's Degree Loan
Financial Aid by country
- Chile: AGCI, CONICYT
- Colombia: Colfuturo, ICETEX
- Egipto: Qalaa Holdings Scholarship Foundation
- Ecuador: Senescyt
- Guatemala: Guatefuturo
- Iberoamérica: Programa Ibermedia
- México: Coordinación Nacional de Becas de Educación Superior, FIDERH, Fonca, FUNED
- Panamá: IFARHU
- Perú: IPFE, RetoExcelencia
- República Dominicana: FUNDAPEC
If you are a member of our alumni associations or of one of our partner universities, we offer you a series of applicable discounts on the amount of tuition for your program.
- UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC Alumni: If you have previously studied at UPF Barcelona School of Management or UPF-IDEC a 15 credits (or more) program and you decide to take on a new program with us, you are entitled to a discount of 20% on your program tuition fees. It is required to be registered in the Alumni network of the UPF Barcelona School of Management upon your application. This discount is not applicable to short courses and postgraduate courses which are part of the same itinerary.
- UPF Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree, a master program or a doctoral program at Pompeu Fabra University, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits) beginning on or after 01/01/2019.
- ESCI-UPF and Tecnocampus Alumni: If you have previously studied a degree or a master at ESCI-UPF or Tecnocampus, you are entitled to a discount of 15% on the UPF Barcelona School of Management Masters and postgraduated program tuition fees (those programs with more than 15 credits).
*Discount not compatible with other scholarships, discounts and reductions.
UPF Employee Discounts
If you are a member or family member of an employee of the UPF group or belonged to the collaborating institutions of the UPF Barcelona School of Management, you can enjoy a series of applicable discounts on the tuition fees for your program.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) of Pompeu Fabra University. You are entitled to a 35% discount on tuition fees for open programs subject to prior communication from the rector's office and/or the UPF general manager's office.
- Administrative and Service Staff (PAS) and Teaching and Research Staff (PDI) of the UPF Group. Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- Relatives (up to second degree) of UPF and the UPF's Institute of Continuing Education's Foundation teaching and research staff (PAS and PDI, in Spanish). Discount of 20% on tuition fees for open programs.
- If you work at a company member of the Institute of Continuing Education Foundation's Board of Trustees or at any of our councils' companies. Discount of 20% on the tuition fees of our master's and postgraduate courses. Click here to see the companies on the Board of Trustees.
*Discount not compatible with other scholarships, discounts and reductions.
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management collaborates with various banks and financial entities which provide study loans on favorable terms. For more information you can contact any of the following links (in Spanish).
Note, however, that in order to benefit from these special conditions you must have a NIE if you are not a European Citizen. Therefore, UPF Barcelona School of Management strongly recommends international students to seek first for students loans at bank entities of their country of origin, or to search for funding opportunities through international entities.
Online Postgraduate Course in Executive Development